Birding Time, Your local and international patch…

I assume that, if it looks like a Canary, sounds like a Canary and was photographed today in the Canaries, it might be a Canary. It had plenty to say, lovely sound. I think it is an Atlantic Canary. Lovely bird.

9 Likes

Nice… I love greylags…
here is a greylag with her goslings… with two of them looking like mischievous characters.

8 Likes

A touch of green

Imgur

13 Likes

Had some nice Goldcrest activity here the other day.

Tim

20 Likes

WOW !!! Stunning

Such lovely little birds, love to listen to the high pitched tinkling song.
We used to have them in the garden up to a few years ago, but the nearby lane with yew & other coniferous trees that was the main attraction for them were cut down and the Goldcrest moved on.

2 Likes

Wow. What a photo.

1 Like

@IanF
Unfortunately NO ! Am currently away on holiday taking photos of lots of tropical birds but no waxwings!
Will post a few on my return. Doubt I’ll get a chance again this year :frowning:

Full of the joys of spring :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Black-headed gull in first winter plumage souring over a lake looking for food

4 Likes

Ah,bad luck. Still, I expect a lush holiday and lots of tropical species will help to cushion your disappointment :wink:

1 Like

A from a trip to NZ a few years ago. A Sooty Shearwater from the Otago area. Plus a non bird photo

10 Likes

I don’t know whether this has come up before but there is a freebie app for IOS, called “Merlin”, which uses one’s iPhone as a listening device to identify birds by their songs. Seems to be sponsored by Cornell Uni in the US.

1 Like

I use it on an Android as well. Works amazingly well.

2 Likes

Also works with photos.

It’s very good but results do need to be treated with caution. I don’t think there are too many Ospreys in rural Oxfordshire. :grinning:

1 Like

Could be a passage migrant

You do have to download the right file for the area you are in

No - it really wasn’t an osprey. :grinning:

Yes - the right area file is important.

I really doubt that, earliest arrivals provided the weather/wind is favourable is normally mid/late March, the majority arrive in April

Surrounded by cute little siskins for a few minutes this morning. I won the staring competition, of course.

12 Likes

There’s something magical about deleting

14 Likes

Nice photo :+1:

1 Like