Birding Time, Your local and international patch…

Yeah the focus and subject tracking say on bird detect in low light is incredible and so is the speed of it… often tracking faster than my responses… the only downside is when you need faster exposure speeds your ISO rises. Above ISO 4000 I find feather detail starts to go and the ability to convincingly crop diminishes. and no amount of ‘AI’ can bring it back convincingly on my 45 MPx sensor.
Yes the coastal estuary and marshes are superb… and some of the smaller RSPB reserves are golden… like Boyton marshes. Minsmere is good, but for me the best time is after it’s closed to non members as the sun sets when it’s only die hard members there… often I will be the only or one other car in its car park… magic. Luckily it’s only twenty mins down the road for me… and Boyton Marshes ten minutes… and the Deben estuary on my doorstep.

1 Like

And of course, no more mirror slap and shutter noise, perfect when the subject hasn’t seen you and wanders close by.

1 Like

Absolutely… until I got into mirrorless I found interesting coastal bird wild life photography in accessible for me … now that is completely different… and has opened up a whole new world.

1 Like

I am not really a birder but spotted this cutie during my stroll in the park.

7 Likes

Yes cute and impossibly bizarre paint job.
A Mandarin Duck

9 Likes

Yeah it’s quite striking and stands out here in Amsterdam

Choices

Imgur

…say hi or keep the fish.

The seagull was flying super fast into the sun so the fish was discovered only on the Mac’s screen.

2 Likes

One of a pair at Pershore Abbey. Not seen both at the same time, not sure which this is. They have been seen mating this week and a webcam has been set up. They seem to perch out of the sunshine.

8 Likes

A gray day makes a perfect background, almost a studio shot, to a soaring…

…Osprey, also called Sea/River/fish hawk. I had difficulties identifying the bird. The Merlin Bird ID kept calling for a Red-tail (though I knew it was wrong since that hawk has rounder wings, different coloring of the tail and a darker face) till it corrected itself after shown additional angles.

10 Likes

We see them occasionally when in the Canaries. They are lovely birds.

1 Like

Bufflehead

One of these tiny diving ducks who always sound the alarm and immediately fly away upon seeing me. This time I caught him grooming himself diligently, his guards way down. That’s what vanity does to you.

5 Likes

The formation photo is just amazing.

2 Likes

We have a pair who visit the feeder. This is the male. Shot through double glazing. Always nice to see.

9 Likes

Poor form, flushing birds just to get the photo you wanted.

3 Likes

The greylags were all taking off anyway, when I was within thirty metres or so, whether I was on the bank path or the lower flood area. Very twitchy birds. The swans and canada geese had more staying power, just going into the river and keeping an eye on me.

I totally agree. Deliberately scaring birds for the sake of a photo ??

1 Like

I’ll try to keep this clear and simple.

I doubt very much I scared the geese off any more than if I had just carried on walking, they just flew off in anticipation a little sooner than they would have.

Do you stay in your house, never driving or walking in the countryside? If not, I hope you never, ever disturb any wildlife at all. And I really hope you never tread on any insects or snails etc while you’re out walking, because you had the choice to stay at home.

I’ve not eaten meat for 24 years. Unless you can say you don’t eat meat, especially birds, then… well…

Strange response. I haven’t eaten meat for over 30 years, not that it’s particularly relevant. More relevant, perhaps, is working in conservation for 25+ years where I’ve seen numerous instances of photographers disturbing wildlife to obtain a better photo. Which has at times lead to chicks or eggs perishing. I’ve actually witnessed photographers moving eggs in a nest for a better photo!

You say they were very twitchy birds, perhaps they were disturbed by your presence, or had just arrived and were looking to settle. Still no reason to “wave your arms around”.

It’s this kind of behaviour that can give wildlife photographers and twitchers (another topic) a bad reputation. If you can’t get the photo you want it’s unfortunate, but there’s no justification to disturb wildlife.

2 Likes

On a lighter note :slight_smile: Pulborough Brooks today

Lapwing

White Tailed Eagle!!!

No Idea (Wren?)

Bullfinch?

Redshank?

9 Likes

Nice to be back on topic again. Yes, Wren and Redshank, but Goldfinch rather than Bullfinch.

3 Likes