Birding Time, Your local and international patch…

A Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Imgur

…catching a midday quiet moment on a low branch.

9 Likes

A solitary lunch

Imgur

An American Goldfinch is devouring a dried up thistle.

13 Likes

Australian magpie, they have wonderful song.

8 Likes

Eastern Wood-PeWee

Imgur

For some reason, the Merlin Bird ID had a very hard time identifying the tiny guy despite the detailed image.

7 Likes

I’m in the UK, but it seems that the Eastern Wood-PeWee is difficult to distinguish from the Western Wood-PeWee on visual grounds. Sibley Guides suggest that even the call isn’t infallible. I guess location is a general guide unless you are in an overlapping area.
https://www.sibleyguides.com/bird-info/eastern-wood-pewee/

I live close to the Chilterns and have a dense population of Red Kite.
The Chilterns is where Kites were first reintroduced in 1989/94, the project has been an outstanding success with the Kite population spreading far and wide.
Unfortunately Kites are very easily habituated into feeding from humans and it has resulted locally in some unnatural feeding habits including some cases of close contact stealing, nothing like seagulls stealing chips and ice cream, but hints of it.
Locally we are told don’t feed Kites.

You are correct, they look very similar though apparently their call differs. Our Midwest is clearly the territory of the Eastern Wood-Pewee.

Merlin is widely used here, especially to identify birds by call. I guess it will add your photo to its database as you have confirmed identification. Some species are difficult to identify, gulls in Europe because of the plumage changes.

2 Likes

Fulmar and baby Fulmar.

Cheers,

Ian

8 Likes

In the heat of the day

Not saying anything, just panting.

7 Likes

Usually a more quiet time of the year for many birds - but one thing I do see more of is juveniles moving into adulthood ie adolescants - and as such they are discarding their juvenile feathers and growing their shiny new adult ones - here is a Black-headed gull doing exactly that on Friday evening.

6 Likes

and a lone cygnet - following its mother - out of frame…

8 Likes

A Wheatear, enjoying the view.

Cheers,

Ian

11 Likes

Osprey Hunting above Loch Ruthven today…

15 Likes

I really should learn how to use a camera. Trust me, its a hummingbird. It was taking a short break after trying out the hostas. A pleasant surprise being in the city centre.

3 Likes

A rather attractive young mallard hen.

11 Likes

Spotted this Magpie with a strange beak. I’m assuming it is quite old but seems healthy.

Tim

4 Likes

You…err, find that attractive do you??

:grinning: … perhaps I have been photographing them for too long…… or perhaps I was a drake in a previous life.

A lonesome Red-Headed Woodpecker

…not counting the bee flying over his head.

8 Likes