Birding Time, Your local and international patch…

Blue in Green

Imgur

The larger wings of the great herons and egrets enable them to glide with uncommon elegance and silence, quite lacking with the smaller ducks and birds who raise a racket trying to gain altitude.

The new camera has a much better AF and the extra resolution as well as the deeper hand-grip are also appreciated.

10 Likes

Here you go Junior…

12 Likes

Rude.

9 Likes

Shhh…You ain’t seen me right?

Someone keeping cool, think it was a young Moorhen

4 Likes

The orange eyes…

Imgur

Imgur

…gave him away as being a Night Heron. Further investigation narrowed it down to a juvenile Yellow-crowned Night Heron. Rarely seen in daytime while feeding nocturnally, specializing on crabs.

9 Likes

A few pink galahs

9 Likes

‘Our’ sparrow hawk - unless someone knows better.

A slightly better shot than the last.

Usually glimpsed as a flurry of sparrows and a hawkish blur.

17 Likes

I’ve been using Merlin Bird ID by Cornell Lab on iPad & Android.
Impressed.
Any others tried it and comments

I tried to trick it with an abnormal pose of a bird from outside my ‘Merlin’ assigned area.
It ID’d it no problems

4 Likes

Yes, it’s great, we use it a lot.

1 Like

THE BEATLES

THE GEETLES

5 Likes

My new skirt

Imgur

That’s what the intense heat does to you, wishing you could do without these heavy wings…

8 Likes

One gets dizzy…

Imgur

…so much food around. A female American Gold Finch insisting on trying all the Hors d’oeuvres.

11 Likes

It looks like he’s got something on his head.

1 Like

Down at the scrapes at Minsmere earlier this week

Greylags flying over some feeding Avocets

Two greylags taking off

8 Likes

Identification help wanted.

Could have sworn I had a Pintail fly by today at Farmoor Reservoir. Except that the time of year is all wrong. Long neck, long tail, elegant, fast flight with rapid wingbeat, very distinctive white border on inboard rear of wings. Absolutely no chance to grab a picture.

Thoughts as to what it could be?

Visitor to the garden looking for lunch

11 Likes

Hi @PW42 , Pintail begin to arrive in late August and I’ve seen Pintail at Farmoor, so it’s a maybe at least for now.

Thank you. Maybe I’m not going mad! :slightly_smiling_face:

Not even sure what it was, I was walking with my daughter this week (Southend area) and before our eyes this: hawk, falcon, kestrel attacked a pigeon in the air. Both dropped to the floor, where the pigeon remained and the ‘hawk’ flew off. Probably disturbed by us.

Photo on my iPhone.

4 Likes

Probably a Sparrow hawk, definitely not a Kestrel.

2 Likes