Birding Time, Your local and international patch…

Compare the tail feathers with the picture from @Proterra just above.
My vote is sparrowhawk.

1 Like

The fan of barred tail feathers is a dead giveaway …… Sparrowhawk

1 Like

All the three…

…vultures (Turkey) were eying me simultaneously but I told them I was way too young for that.

6 Likes

Tricky one to take this. Far distance on a gloomy early evening, near a lake in Galicia, Spain, last month. Look who’s on guard…

8 Likes

Nesting Terns and gulls at the St John’s nature reserve near Thurso

8 Likes

Puffy

Imgur

It is while the birds are in the midst of changing position, still maintaining a balance, that they show us their most interesting sides.

8 Likes

The bottom picture is a black-headed gull with chick. Nice picture.
Thankfully one of our more common sea gulls in the British isles.

Yep in summer plumage also one of our most common and noisiest rubbish tip gulls.:grin:

One from last year on Sumburgh head in Shetland

10 Likes

Yes we have many many on the coastal marshes here. Last year I saw a lesser black backed gull having grabbed a chick and was slowly swallowing it having taken off… the poor raging was petrified as it was slowly ingested… there were several black headed gulls attacking lesser black backed from above behind and below… plus an avocet joining in…. But the larger gull survived the onslaught and fully swallowed the chick … it was really violent and in a way disturbing, but that’s nature.
I did take a series of pictures with my 800mm but I won’t post here as it is distressing,

10 Likes

Way ahead of everyone else

Imgur

An American Goldfinch rushing to acquire winter colors while all his brothers are still bright yellow.

11 Likes

A juvenile Swallow at Castle Roy in the Cairngorms. There are many Swallows gathering on the lines now but, if past experience is anything to go by, some of our coastal ones will be here until November or later.

Cheers,

Ian

11 Likes

Little Egret looking for dinner on Saturday early evening in the scrapes at Minsmere

8 Likes

The flight surfaces of a Little Egret flying out to the beach on the Suffolk Coast

A Little Egret about to eat a frog in its beak - in the marshes.

… and now looking for desert

…and found it, a moreish Stickleback

5 Likes

and finally off as the sun disappeared behind clouds just prior to dusk

8 Likes

Anyone got a shucking knife?

6 Likes

The watchers - two Redshanks and a recently arrived Turnstone

Cheers,

Ian

8 Likes

Hello, what are you being so shy about then…?

Ah.

4 Likes

Got to spend some quiet time outdoors today and a bunch of cows slowly made their way across the meadow, along with a few Herons who kept them company, travelling closely with the herd.

I wonder what the symbiotic relation between them is? I had thought Herons just ate fish and as I didn’t see them go for any insects or bugs that might have been dragged up by the grass munchers, that seems to remain the case. Yet there must be something going on between them. Perhaps smaller mammals, frogs etc. get a bit of a fright on when the cows come home and they have a go for them?

5 Likes