Biwiring

Hey there. I apologize if I have overlooked an entry in which there might be an explanation. I have a bit of an impression that many users here do NOT recommend that you generally carry out biwiring for speakers (impedance?). I have a NAP250DR playing on JMR Trente speakers. Trente has four poles and is ready for biwiring… But would you recommend that I use singlewired instead with a jumper between the terminals…?
Regards Peter

This is not recommended by Naim.

This is from the FAQ section on the forum.

So yes, single run of cable and jumpers.

DG…

3 Likes

Single wired diagonal.
Plates in place then
Positive to the tweeter and negative to the bass sorted. :+1:t2:

6 Likes

Biwiring is not recommended with Naim amps, its nothing to do with speakers, its all about amplifier output stage loading.
Naim amps, the classics such as 250 espectially, need/work best with high’ish inductance and low capacitance loading from the speaker cable.
Biwiring halves cable inductance and doubles capacitance, so that way is all going in the wrong direction.
In your case, best to go single wire with speaker end jumpers

1 Like

Thanks. And what about jumpers in between the speakers connections?

1 Like

So what about jumpers, are there any preferenses? Before I´d just use normal thin speakerwires. I can see that they can be very expensive in generel, the jumpers…

Just use the standard ones that came with the speakers. :+1:t2:

If these are missing then unscrew the terminal nuts and wrap round any decent thickness cable and retighten them.

2 Likes

Or better still, make your cables into soldered ‘F’ conneted banana plugs.
Then you can experiment with connect LF to HF, HF to LF, or cross/diagonal connect
(see the pic)

5 Likes

I would second @Skeptikal’s recommendation of (taking the picture immediately above as the starting position) swapping the two red plugs over so the one directly from the amp goes to the HF/tweeter post and the red jumper goes to the LF/woofer post. This so-called ‘diagonal’ wiring made a small but interesting difference for the better when I went over to it.

Mark

2 Likes

Hi Ebor

You mean I should let a jumper go directly from HF (+) and diagonally down LF (-)…?
Then mount the cables on the two posts. I only have single wired one red and one black

Diagonal wiring is where you connect the amp to to the treble positive and the bass negative, or vice versa. You then run jumpers or bars to the other sockets. That’s what the right hand picture shows. You’d never put a jumper between positive and negative.

Oops, no, of course… I guess I just lost my mind there :wink:
…thanks

I explained all this earlier the double wired picture is confusing him.

1 Like

Thanks again Skeptikal :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here are the speaker connection options for x2 pairs of terminals
If uncertain, connect as per option ‘1’ with the speaker cable pair to the lower LF terminals and jumpered to the HF.
The rest are just fine tuning experiments

1 Like

For the avoidance of doubt, picture 3 is the one I was referring to, which (in my system, with my ears) I found sounded better than picture 1.

2 Likes

Thanks for the various advice on wiring. This is the way I have connected. In principle, it must be the same as connecting four sockets. I have then made a diagonal crossover. This is what I’m experimenting with to see if there should be a difference in the sound

1 Like

Photo of my F-Connection with Naca5 cabling for reference:

2 Likes

@Peter63
Hi
That’s the way enjoy and forget. :+1:t2:

1 Like

One more image…

3 Likes