Black box upgrade conundrum

I don’t recall but it was way more than I was willing to spend at the time. Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with my HiCapDR paired with my SN3. For the OP I know for sure adding a PS for the nDAC will improve things, but equally I’d think an additional HCDR would work well for the 282(if there is no intention for the 252 :wink: )

2 Likes

@marcusman Yes, thanks for the advice. My dilemma was having to decide for a PSU for either the 282 or the nDAC and where the most bang for the buck would be. Leaning toward the nDAC but that’s an investment in aged and aging equipment…Tough call for us poor folks.

1 Like

I get it trust me. I also have limited funds. When I got the PSU for my nDAC I thought regardless I could use it in the future if I go for the 272 replacement. If not I’ll just continue to enjoy it. Naim does make it pleasantly difficult with so many different great options. Reminds me of vacation/holiday choices, do I choose Mexico or Hawaii?

2 Likes

Interesting. Currently I have a ND5XS2 with an external DAC (Qutest). Amplification is a SN2 with external PS. my end game would be 282/250DR combo. Not nessicerally with an NDX2. Very happy with the current streamer and DAC. Other option would be an SN3 instead of SN2, saving some space and cables. A Supercap is too expensive, I think.

1 Like

I am one of those folks who rate moving to a Supercap as one of the biggest leaps in overall sound quality, and emotional engagement, I ever experienced in my many decades of Naim ownership.

For many years I ran a 72, HiCap, 250. Then I moved to an 82, HiCap, 250 and it was the one and only time in all my history of owning Naim equipment that I wasn’t totally happy with an upgrade. Something just didn’t sound right. I had lost some system balance and symmetry or something.

Then my dealer got back in touch with me a couple of weeks later and told me had a Supercap I could audition at home if I wanted. Immediately when I plugged in the Supercap everything came back. All the flow, PRAT, emotional involvement were there again accompanied by greater slam and dynamics. Gobs of power in reserve.

Since then I went from 82 - 282 and from Supercap - Supercap DR. I am not in the market for a 252 but, in my experience, a Supercap/SuperCap DR is a major upgrade from a single HiCap. I never have tried or heard two HiCaps on an 82 or 282.

2 Likes

In my system I found that going from 1 HiCap to 2 was a linear progression but the SuperCap was a different presentation. For me, the SuperCap has made the most difference of any of my upgrades. Not sure if it is because my speakers are fairly inefficient.

2 Likes

@marcusman get a 555, you know you want to :smiley:

1 Like

You are probably right. Tough to predict the future regardless and who knows as the price(s) will likely out of range for me for some time. In the meantime I do have a nicely balanced system that gives me joy on a regular basis.

Fun to dream/speculate what’s next from Naim. I’m sure it’ll be revealed soon. If I was in the market for something new, I’d wait until the new year to see what’s revealed.

Stop it right now!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

After a massive upgrade push this year to finish our classic system, before range changes, my funds are exhausted.

I have decided to live vicariously from now into 2023 by spending other people’s money :laughing:

4 Likes

If I had to guess I would think the “replacements” the internet is postulating (for the 272 and 250/300) will not be at the current price points.

R&D, economic factors, inflation, war, supply chain challenges, machining, manufacturing changes and Focal influence will mean (perhaps not insignificant) prices rises.

It will be interesting to see what January annual price rises bring (although to be fair to naim the last price list movements did include decreases too).

1 Like

Agreed. It’s anyones guess what the prices will be. I remember being in shock when the SN3 was released and it was IIRC less expensive than the SN2 here in North America by a little. I was sure someone had made a typo…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.