Blue Jeans Ethernet cables

Ah, those pesky Belgians! Half of them speaking French… :laughing:

1 Like

Hello FR
I have the Cisco Catalyst 2960G.

1 Like

Very good! We will know how it compares to the Uptone :+1::+1:

1 Like

The YouTuber in this video claims to be an expert in quantum physics.
He says that ‘electrical forces and magnetic forces are related to each other intimately’.
And he says of magnets that ‘in iron all the electrons are spinning in the same direction. They all get lined up. And they magnify the effect of the force until it’s large enough - at a distance - that you can feel it.’ [5:30]

@Beachcomber - that might be an interesting area to investigate if one was looking for an explanation of how passing electrical (EM) currents through a cable might change its effect on SQ.

That’s answering a different question. The question was about why passing an electric current through a wire would change the nature of the wire over time - what is happening during burn-in. The EMF forces associated with passing an electric current through a copper (or silver) wire only occur whilst that current is changing. It does not make a permanent (or long-lasting) change to the wire, as described by the term “burn-in”.

That is true, electric and magnetic forces are intimately linked: movement of each within the field of the other generates the opposite field (taking the energy to do so from the kinetic energy of the movement).

How do you know?

Because in small signal transmission there is insufficient energy density difference to make permanent changes.

cf Xanthe’s response. But the question was: what changes (physical, presumably measurable, changes) occur in the wires or other materials in the cable?

Well, you know the answer.
(Despite admitting to not knowing fully what electrons are or how they work).
So you’re good.

Hmm - so you don’t know of any mechanism for it? OK

No. I am sure I don’t know how it works.
But, as you know, I speculated above as to possible mechanisms.

I’m sorry I can’t find where you made that speculation - plenty of questions about the nature of electricity (and assertions that it isn’t known to physics), but I don’t see the speculations wrt ‘burn in’ - if I did I may be able to confirm or refute them.

post 172:
a few things about cables that change over time, which may (or may not) have an audible effect on SQ:

• they change temperature in accordance with the changes of temperature in your listening room

• they have been shaken and slightly twisted or stressed as they have moved thru the product distribution system and installed in your hifi, so after that they get moved and stressed and twisted a lot less

• this may be the first time electricity has run thru them

Which I answered in post 266:
https://community.naimaudio.com/t/blue-jeans-ethernet-cables/4048/273

Yes, all these events happen. But what do these changes do to the structure/composition of the cable that affects SQ? Temperature seems to be highly unlikely - the copper has been at much higher temperatures than it will ever subsequently reach while the cable remains usable. Likewise the insulating materials. So I can’t see how the small changes in temperature the cable will experience through the very small amount of electricity that will pass through them in use.
Likewise I am unsure what physical stresses will affect, particularly during transport - nor why being still while in your system will undue any of the effects of those stresses.
It may be the first time that electricity runs through them - but again I can’t see what changes will be incurred beyond the immediate effects of powering the cables up (and it is a really small amount of power).

Yes, that’s all quite reasonable.
So therefore standard electrical engineering theory has no explanatory mechanism.

So either:

1. It’s all explained by various forms of psychological adaptation.
  2. The above and other subtle changes jointly make more difference that we would expect. Or
  3. There are changes to the cable itself that we don’t understand and have not tried to measure (or cannot measure).

Based on the Feynman quote above, If I was going to look for an example of 3 in relation to the possibility of burn in or directionality, I would systematically investigate the sq effects of altering the electromagnetic fields that run through and around the cable - including EM field changes transmitted from other nearby cables and hifi boxes, from signals and power running through the cable; from static; from RFI, etc.

If I were a betting man, my money would be on 1.

5 Likes

Demoing BJC Cat6 vs BJC Cat6a for the office Unitiqute. 6a winning hands down - bigger bass, more natural sound, less noise floor, better separation of instruments etc. It’s not night and day, but sounds about what the difference was upstairs between a BJC Cat 6 and Ghent Audio Belkin 6A cat snake. I do wish I’d gotten 6A for the rest of the loom now, though beyond endpoints not sure how much of a difference it would really make overall.

Also replaced the cheap Cat6 from the 2960-PS to 2960-PD with BJC Cat6 and also better. Living with some amazing sound from just a lowly UQ, BJC cables and Cisco off the mains 2960.

1 Like

That’s great news, and useful to know.
Sounds like a very good value uplift in SQ.