Blue Note Records

Yes I have a couple of non Blue Note titles but have not heard that one Clive I’ll give it a spin.

This Japanese reissue from the 90’s where Art and Sonny don’t actually appear together

And the OJC Reissue of this Jazzland release

1 Like

In Germany You can buy it on jpc for 20€

2 Likes

Thank you. Will order tomorrow.

1 Like

Tonight’s bed time gin and jazz.
Sorta start of the Modern Jazz Quartet. Some nice Monk. Bit of crooning with Thelonious comping (bet you didn’t know BN got involved with that stuff). Some bluesy Donaldson. I always enjoyed John Lewis’s gentle,spacious piano work.

Brew dog gin (heavily junipered,Fevertree tonic and lime.

3 Likes

First in the Blue Note 1500 series No 1501 & 1502 where Miles Davis Vol 1 & 2.

2 LPs, 23 tracks, an hour and a half of music, 3 sessions spread over 3 years that had previously been released on three 10". These recordings constitute the entire output of Miles Davis on Blue Note with exception of his later, Columbia-era session with Cannonball Adderley - Somethin’ Else in 1958.

Featuring Jackie McLean on Alto, Oscar Pettiford & Percy Heath on Bass, Art Blakey & Kenny Clarke on Drums, Gil Coggins on Piano, Jimmy Heath on Tenor, Jay Jay Johnson on Trombone and of course Miles on trumpet.

2 Likes

45rpm Audiophile’s review of two of the latest Tone Poets.

1 Like

And Michael appears very happy with his copy.

He does , frustratingly mine is still sitting in the post office.

Frustrating, but worth the wait though.

In the meantime, time for ‘Hub Tones’ this evening…

4 Likes

Another iconic Reid Miles cover and another excellent choice.

Hubtones was recorded on the 10/10/1962 with

James Spaulding on Flute & Alto
Reginald Workman on Bass
Clifford Jarvis on Drums
Herbie Hancock on Piano

It was Number 415 in the 4000 series probably Blue Note’s most successful and arguably it’s best series musically starting with,

Number 4001: Sonny Rollins - Newk’s Time (9/22/57) and ending with

Number 4435: Hank Mobley - Straight No Filter (3/7/63, 2/5/65, 6/17/66)

That’s 435 titles in less than 9 years which works out a fraction over one per week RVG was a very busy boy.

2 Likes

I dragged the ‘Uncompromising Expression’ book with me on the train to London and back, yesterday and today, Weighs a ton. But a fascinating read. As you say, RVG was a busy chap. And come to think of it - Reid Miles too. How did he knock out so many consistently brilliant pieces of artwork to accompany the music?

2 Likes

Please don’t forget the great Francis Wolff who was the main photographer, whos images RM used in his designs.
A great team… most of the time!

2 Likes

Another excellent Reginald Workman date this time with Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers on the incredible Indestructible. Lee Morgan is at his very best on this recording though they are not usually known for their Ballads I’ve selected

When Love Is New

Blimey I_D I almost sprained my wrist just taking the package off the postie! It is a fabulous book a definite dipper-into.

1 Like

On the other hand….
A google of ‘Listening to Prestige’ will fill you in on the Weinstock label’s prodigious output.
A wonderful resource.

1 Like

An old bookmark, worth exploring.

https://www.npr.org/sections/ablogsupreme/2014/05/28/316713372/take-75-great-solos-in-blue-note-records-history

2 Likes

Thanks. Some new ideas among the old favourites.

2 Likes

What an excellent link thank you so much.

1 Like

Great cd. Lee Morgan is also fantastic.

I saw Bechet live in London in the 50s. Amazing sound he produced from his soprano sax.
My seat was a long way back which as not so good.

2 Likes