Bristol hifi show 2022

Hey pssss any interest in

Its very effective against getting infected by the virus on hifi shows.

Looking at what is happening in Austriaā€¦I think things pandemic wise are going to hot upā€¦the closer we get to Christmasā€¦

We have always enjoyed the Bristol show but it depends on how the covid situation will be, available flighttickets,ā€¦ For us it is always a small holiday/long weekend. Enjoying the show and visiting the Bristol aria.

It is a pity we can no longer bring good stuff back home: stilton, stinking bisshop,ā€¦

Santa claus: I think bringing the chrome bumper series back. Sale will rise.

Love the Colston Bassett Stilton , the Cropwell bishop is nice but itā€™s not as good, not a scratch! more space , more air , better separation of flavours :grin:

Surely in this day and age driving should be positively discouraged. Public transport should be prioritised in choosing the venue, and judging by the pictures of the average hifi show audience it would do a lot of them the world of good to walk a bit.

6 Likes

Unless the Southampton to Salisbury line is ā€œout of serviceā€ like it was in February 2020! Something they ā€œneglectedā€ to mention when selling me the train ticket at Swanwick!
Four hours later I had got as far as Salisbury, arriving just in time to see the Bristol train pulling out, with the next one not due for another hour - gave up and came home. Drove to Bristol on the following day!

1 Like

I was a Transport Manager for a Construction Materials Supply Company travelling the UK visiting the various company branches.

We had depots in and around London so obviously I was involved when TFL introduced FORS which is the HGV safety requirements to help protect cyclists.

I had to attend a meeting in London so decided to go up on the train Ā£128.00 return, stood most of the journey and was late for the meeting I never used a train again.

4 Likes

Why anyone would want to use public transport is beyond me!!

Generally overpriced, overcrowded and not very clean.

Far better to driveā€¦

6 Likes

I enjoyed the train to Brissol (apart fromā€¦see above :laughing:). Just the one change at Southampton to pick up the Portsmouth-Cardiff First Great Western. Not too pricey with my OAPs rail card (which itself would have been purchased with Tesco points on a 3 for 1 basis), but the best bit was being able to book a seat for the way back!

Did much the same journey took off from the Helipad Filton,Bristol landed on the Battersea Helipad 28 minutes later, sat down all the way.

Before you ask it was not my Helicopter !!

What does the D stand for in your name? I can work out that P stands for Prince and C for Charles.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve never been to a hifi show. Not sure Iā€™d like it - my sense is that Iā€™d be in rooms full of old railway spotters wetting themselves over the latest model and subsequent effect on timbre and nuance of bland musics Iā€™d rather not hearā€¦
Clapton, Fleetwood Mac, Yes or endless droning over-emoting wetbedsā€¦

Or am I wrong? Are they in fact vital meeting places where great music is discussed, argued over, played leaving the room transfixed/transformedā€¦as opposed to a bunch of older (primarily) men waffling on about guffā€¦

:smiling_imp:

I understand it from a companyā€™s view of course - itā€™s a showplace, getting the brand out there. Itā€™s the attendees I donā€™t fully get. What have hifi shows got to with music?

Of course Iā€™m being (very) unsuccessfully lighthearted/irreverent here. But I still donā€™t fancy itā€¦ Iā€™d like to hear a Solstice, perhaps even a 552 (be still my beating heart) but I can do that at my dealersā€¦

2 Likes

I went to a motorbike show once. Preferred the ride to and from, more than the show itself. And thatā€™s saying something for a bimble up the M1 to the NEC.

I love looking at motorbikes (and HiFi gear), I donā€™t mind fixing/working on them (I quite like putting gear on racks, messing with the cables etc), but as a friend once said, ā€œIā€™d rather be riding (listening).ā€

I suspect Iā€™d enjoy a day out looking at HiFi gear, but sneakily be disappointed that I couldnā€™t listen to more of it, the queues, and could have spent the entrance fee on some new music, or added to my ND5 XS2 fund.

Perhaps thatā€™s what drives some of the traffic on here? Just tell me what sounds good in terms of upgrades. Iā€™ll then just go buy whatā€™s in budget and get back to enjoying the music!

(Says he, posting on a HiFi forum, when he should be paying more attention to Keane - Hopes and Fears playing in the background X) )

[edit, I forgot about the free mugs!]

1 Like

M4, M32 takes you virtually to the entrance of Cabot Circus car park which has a capacity of 2500 cars and is not much more than 5 minutes walk from the show

4 Likes

Yes, the show is a modest walk from Temple Meads station. I attended last year, on what felt like a quiet Sunday, even so, I cannot for one second understand why I didnā€™t just ditch it and stay away.
I will be avoiding it next year, always good to have a break from it from time to time.

I feel much the same, they are all a bit pointless, unless you feel the need to prod every bit of kit out there, then you can get much of your task done in a day! :grin:

I recall as a kid attending a London HiFi show at Heathrow, which was hosted by a hotel as well, not to mention the shuttle bus between buildings, from my low viewpoint I remember it being very hard work and we gave up trying to get into rooms after a while. Equally, I recall shows being held at Olympia London which felt much better as there was at least some space but because there was little or no acoustic separation between stands the demonstrations were a bit pointless. As a kid, it was a terrific adventure, I retain some vivid memories of these experiences, including going the wrong way on the tube for the first time!

Harrogate tended to be a more civilised show.

@Roog @anon4489532 yes the train should be encouraged. However, from where I live it would involve driving to Bicester Village, changing trains at Oxford and again at Didcot Parkway. To arrive by 09:30 I would have to get the 6:55 from Bicester meaning leaving home at 06:25. Ticket (advance) Ā£30 plus Ā£6 to park which I donā€™t think bad at all. But if I drove door to door leave home at 08:00.

1 Like

I donā€™t know about you Stevie, but I donā€™t have many people amongst my family and immediate circle of friends who have any interest in hifi. This means that whenever I can no longer restrain myself from raising the subject I get a lot of eye rolling and ultra patient expressions. It also quickly becomes obvious that no-one has the faintest idea what Iā€™m talking about nor any interest in finding out. It is only when I go to a show that I bump into people who can understand me and, indeed, are actually interested. It is worth my going to a show just for that!

4 Likes

Like you @Explorer, I donā€™t have friends or relatives who give a damn about hifi - theyā€™re happy to listen to music as pure party or background on any boombox speaker going. My wife likes the stereo, and does occasionally say when she likes a particular album, but her interest stops there - canā€™t blame her - an ex-friend* who was into hifi put her right off the LP12 by saying she wasnā€™t cueing a record correctly.

(* Our friendship ended when I made fun of Thom Yorkeā€™s whiniā€¦er, singing style. Go figure.)

I dunno. If there was a show near me, I could be tempted to go, but pretty much only for the Naim standā€¦

1 Like