Bristol Show

I think @Skip has the K6 Sigs unless he’s upgraded recently, but @Zackwater does have the K10’s.

1 Like

You’re right marcusman. I was actually thinking of @ChrisBell, but I think he’s also got K6 Sigs now I check his profile. Not heard those, but if they have the family sound they’ll be awesome too.

2 Likes

@BigAl, absolutely non taken! I thought it was very funny at the time, and typical of daughter2. As a graduate in “English” she has got a way with words!

(She certainly got away with that one… :grinning: :grinning:)

1 Like

I run K6 Signatures. But K10’s are on my list.

2 Likes

Do you need tickets for Naim (or any other key) demos?

I’m off soon but wondering it’s worth queueing when for the opening.

Keith

Had a great day out, well done Audio T and the Hifi industry, everyone seemed enthusiastic to engage in conversation, had a good chat with one of the Naim staff, not sure who he was but very helpful guy.
Enjoyed the Naim room with the new kit and the Sopra2’s, had two visits once early in the morning which didn’t sound so good but later on in the afternoon, Steve Ray V was sounding very nice indeed.
Most rooms sounded okay for show conditions only real disappointing room for me was Chord with Kudos, when I called in the room was empty and I found out why going in it sounded awful, not sure what was happening?
Overall really enjoyable day out, again well done to everyone involved, shame about the M5 on the journey home but we visited a few lanes and managed to miss most of the traffic.
Anyone going today or Sunday enjoy👍

I hadn’t been to a Hifi show in a hotel setting for perhaps 30+ years, and now I realise why, it’s an awful venue to demonstrate the equipment. Poor access to tiny stuffy bedrooms, people talking over the music, no indication of what the equipment is or what’s playing. I single out the Linn room as one of only two that I thought were doing it well, the chap explained exactly what he was demonstrating the music played and the costs involved. It was professional. Who were the jokers expecting us to pay £50 for a Acoustic Sounds Verve/Impulse reissue?
If I was a manufacturer I would be very concerned as to where my future sales were coming from, we were all so old, and appear to have lived on a diet of buns, maybe because it was a Friday and it attracted a retired audience, but I’d bet on the weekend not being full of slim colourfully dressed young people. I found it all intensely depressing.

The three hour journey home didn’t help, but there was a very nice meal waiting and a decent bottle of wine.

See you at Ascot, where the rooms are light and airy a good size and the talks entertaining, and I can cycle there!

5 Likes

I’ve not been to a hifi show since TomTom James arranged one in 2012 iirc.

Your comments reminded me why I used to find them disappointing and ultimately depressing. The best thing is to go with a mate who is not too serious about the whole business, and have a laugh (until you pay for any food and drink)

1 Like

They were fabulous. I’d never heard about them before but was taken aback by how open, dynamic and “real” they sounded. And that was off the back of a very modest laptop, Denafrips and a SuperNait. Simply sensational.

The business model is to sell direct at £5K with a return and refund policy if you don’t like them at home. They appear to need a lot of space behind them - they were halfway into the room - but they made most of the other rooms sound dull and compressed by comparison.

2 Likes

Great show. Good to be back after three years. I found it peculiar that I saw no SuperNaits powering any of the speaker demos. In fact Rega seemed to be in abundance with amps this year. I spied quite a few McKintosh and Sugdens too. There was a definite swing towards heritage speaker designs with some manufacturers. The Fyne speakers sounded awesome and the room smelt lovely too (from the real wood). The most impressive room and demo for me was the Chord gear. A close second was the Rega One system (£1k) demo, which worked well as they had 50 great vinyl LPs you could chose a track from. It made it very real world. As per other comments above. Harbeth, ELAC and ProAc rooms stood out.

3 Likes

It surprised me that food in the Terrace restaurant was the same menu and same price as three years ago beef or three bean chilli for £6.50. Very tasty and filling it was. I’d agree to avoid the overpriced stands in the bar.

1 Like

Mark R’s doing the Naim New Classic demo. They’ve changed it from their plan to be ticketed to being open access due to volume of people, so people are talking on the open mezzanine . “We get more complaints from people not getting in than we do from people who get in.” :grinning:
I’m pretty impressed with the 200 series, they’re in their usual acoustically poor space and it sounds much better than I expected from the space. I’ll look forward to the full dealer demo when it happens.

2 Likes

I was thinking bish.ack to paying £1.25 for a can of Coke pre-2000. As you can see it rankled with me.That was at the Heathrow show though :money_mouth_face:

That Accuphase gear looks :fire:, in the current vernacular. My local dealer had a couple of pieces in their window. It did cause me to lean forward in covetous ogling mode.

2 Likes

Old - Balding - Podgy - Boring Audiophile reporting for duty.

Bends arm, raises hand to forehead and salutes. Stand by your beds!

3 Likes

I like the look on the face of the lady in the middle of the picture…… looks like “oh no not another one……”

5 Likes

Ditto! FWIW the best demo for me was the Cyrus/Auralic/Spendor room; got there straight away before it got too busy.

Other than a chat with Naim staff I didn’t bother to try to listen. Already had a good dose of New Classics elsewhere.

The E800 integrated was driving the ProAc K10’s brilliantly I must say.

1 Like

They do look fantastic too - proper amps :sunglasses:

1 Like

Every time I’ve heard a show or dealer demo system using an Accuphase amp at the heart, I’ve always found it enjoyable, I do also admire their period and era defying aesthetic, not to mention their amazing build quality. Could easily live with one of they nice integrated amps.

2 Likes