Bristol Show

Click top right, in red, buy tickets.

I resemble that remark :joy:

2 Likes

Weird, I am still able to buy tickets online.

1 Like

Needless to say it was not packed with well heeled 20 somethings.
It’s a good point of reference though, do younger people even want this sort of kit, we had lunch with my friends 20 something son and his girlfriend (lives local) and they said they’d rather go to actual gigs and concerts than spend money he doesn’t have on a nicer home playback system. He maxes out with some “nice” Sony BT headphones for reference.

2 Likes

No. Because it’s whimpish and lacks bass. It always lacks bass. Keeps the distortion figures down.

Many years ago we were in one of the big furniture warehouses. I had wandered off, which prompted (so I was told afterwards) young teenager daughter2 to comment, “Mum, this place is full of fat, bald old men. How are we going to find ours?”

14 Likes

Thanks @glasnaim and @nigelb, I was fooled by the lack of an obvious buy tickets button. Sorted now.
I decided to buy on my phone rather than the tablet to aid downloading the ticket, and lo and behold the buy ticket buttons showed on the phone. I’m about to update the IPad to the latest IOS, I’ll check that page with the updated version.

No offence meant at all, but that is funnier than 90% of the “comedians” on the TV 100% of the time.
(65 in July, not exactly a leonine mane and whilst 2 stone lighter than in 2021, still over 14st ):slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Too funny!!! Yes welcome back HH

1 Like

I don’t know Nigel but he must have some sort of complex about not fitting into that category :joy:

1 Like

3 Likes

Sadly, I fit is a bit too well. Mrs HH and I went to a Joe Jackson concert recently and it was just amazing to see so many people fitting the same very tight demographic, though slightly more edgy than those you see pictured at a hifi show, maybe because they were going to see a musician they’ve loved for 40 years they changed out of their gardening clothes.

3 Likes

I wore a jacket and my tee shirt was black, so I hid the tell tail audiophile signs quite well. Was too warm for a hat indoors though.

2 Likes

Indeed. Great to talk to one of the design engineers about the work gone into the new classic range. Started 4 years ago apparently. Covid if anything help them accelerate the development process he said!

1 Like

The big news perhaps, at least for Rega loyalists is the imminent release of a production version of the Naiad

Will be priced at 12k with an Aphelion, 10k without. Power supply is same as P10. Titanium arm and bearing. Carbon fibre wrap for the ‘foam’ skeletal board.

17 Likes

I saw him when we lived in New Jersey in the late 80s in an open air concert. I think at the time with having to drive to get anywhere over there contributed to my shape changes for the worse. I still have a full head of hair though.

1 Like

That will likely put it (without cartridge) at U.S. $15k ± in the states. Although I’m not much f a Rega fan anyway, there are some seriously good TTs in the range (like my Clearaudio Ovation and Universal arm).

1 Like

Is this thread about a hifi show or the male aesthetic?!

1 Like

If anyone visits the Qualio Room I’m very interested to hear opinions about these speakers.

.sjb

1 Like

I’m glad I went, though my ears are still bleeding a bit…
Highlights for me were the REL demonstration. I’m very tempted to check out a pair at home with my Obelisks and may do so sometime. I think Richard Shahinian would approve as he was a fan of using the Bass box of a Diapason with the little Super Elf.
ProAc K series really caught my ear. The latest K1 Standmount sounded excellent to me. Clear, incisive, fast and not a trace of cabinet bloom. Awkward looks though:

And as for K10 ; they’ll need more space than they got at the show, but these are amazing speakers. I fully understand why @Skip has them. In his large room I’m guessing they must be about as good as it ever gets.

The Harbeth 40 room was very interesting and great sounding too. It was an experimental project whereby they’ve gone active by removing the passive crossovers and creating a box containing 6x class D amps and digital processors to provide the correct frequencies to each. Other processing is potentially doable too to tune the speaker to its environment. Chatting around the show to a few folk, I think the future of HiFi is feeding a digital signal into the back of active, processing equipped speakers. Bye bye boxes.

8 Likes