Broadband/WiFi dropouts, every ten minutes

Hi Simon…Been carrying out various tests this morning.

Yes, the Hub Reboots.

Nucleus removed from the network. Switched off and unplugged from the mains.

Roon Core installed on iMac. (Wi-Fi connected) Within 15 minutes Hub Rebooted, then a further three Reboots in the space of 90 minutes.
For some reason Roon kept playing on the iMac, and didn’t lose connection. Whereas, when the Nucleus was connected by Ethernet directly to the Hub, it lost connection.

I will try directly into the OpenReach socket.

For some reason Roon kept playing on the iMac, and didn’t lose connection.

If both devices are connected to the Home Hub, that suggests its not a reboot of the HH - perhaps just a resync on the ADSL link.

You have confirmed it appears data throughput related and that appears to cause the HH ADSL sync to restart.

Essentially if you have swapped the HH over, and you are getting ADSL resync regularly on regular data transfer - then that suggests there is interference in your home or on your line.

Have you done a silent call test - I mentioned the numbers earlier on. At the 15 minutes intervals do you hear any noise on the line?

Other than that confirm with the Openreach socket - to isolate your home wiring - and if still happens time to call a fault

S

N

No Simon, it does not.

Last night I put the Core on my iMac, connected it directly to the Hub. Rock solid for 6 hours.
Did the same, but used Wi-fi, Reboots 4 times an hour.

‘Roon Tech’ have suggested to change the DNS on the HH4, but it’s not possible, is it?

Sorry Simon, I did try it bu It hung up. Was I meant to keep the line open for 15 mins? :blush:

ok sorry - I mis understood you - you ran Roon Core on a computer and that was fine?

Changing DNS is something you shouldn’t really do on your home hub - and I don’t think you can anyway.

You could always manually put a custom DNS in your host rather than using DHCP but you are better off using the main DNS on a provider like BT rather than using a third party one - and shouldn’t make any difference here.

Can you confirm, have you changed your HH to a SmartHub2 or equivalent now?
If so you should be able to see the logs?

Yes, you commented you could set your clock by it - so near when the ADSL resets dial and see if you can hear any interference

S

I know it sounds strange, but the Core on the iMac via Wi-fi, resulted in multiple Reboots.
The Core on the iMac with Ethernet, directly to the Hub, rock solid.

My Hub is a HH4 Type A. This was brand new in June, but was replaced only last week with the same HH4 Type A. Also with a new power supply.

The reason given for giving me a HH4 Type A, was because it was a poor quality ‘Exchange Line’.

Would a SmartHub 2 work on my line? If so, I’ll request one.

I’ll try it again tomorrow.

The SmartHub 2 is a modern quite sophisticated home router, so that would rule out any issue with the older HH4 and importantly provide useful diagnostics.

I do think it sounds like you have some sort of interference or RFI affecting your line… the fact the disconnects are regular when you are often data transferring.

The quiet line test around the time of resyncing might be telling to to hear whether you hear a pulse or crackle.

However the diagnostics (event log) from the router is what you need… if you see the router has adapted to a large SNR on the line and the diagnostics show sync loss each time the line ‘resets’ and is regular timing… say every 15 mins or so, it points to external interference.

If you report a fault, Openreach can normally visit and do a line test to ensure there is no damage to the line causing issues… sometimes if the interference exacerbates an issue you have on the line, you can be given a different copper pair if available.

Traditional ADSL circuits are all exchange connected lines… but are slowly being phased out.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.