Bubble Server Won't connect

I did get my raspberry pi delivered yesterday and got it set up. I may have to try the option of installing bubble on the Pi and connecting it to my network.

I think I have a separate issue now with Kazoo not finding the room now. Everything’s connected to the same network so not sure what’s going on here.

If nothing else has changed I’d restart all devices - starting with the router - giving a few minutes for each device to fully come up.
I’ve had a Cisco with a fault that caused issues on the network gradually getting worse over about two weeks to the point where Qobuz would only load one track at a time. A reboot fixed it but it was downhill as the days passed. A replacement worked perfectly and nothing gets rebooted now.

Ok, Tidal is playing again as usual without transcoding. I had re-installed the container utility and I think it was causing some issues. After uninstalling again Tidal is working as usual without transcoding.

Which is weird since it says there’s audio transcoding on the status page.

Still greyed out?

Yeah, unfortunately. I had an evening of bliss with the wav transcoding and now it’s back to whatever it was before and sounding dull. What a bummer.

So how complicated is the process of installing bubble onto the Raspberry Pi and using it?

See dknk’s description :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@CrystalGipsy have you used any of the other bubbleupnp containers in the container app? I’m wondering if any of the other choices might work.
https://hub.docker.com/r/icebear8/bubbleupnpserver

I’ve only used a Windows laptop and a Pi. I did a test on my QNAP and the SQ was below par.

Sorry, I meant to type CG. :smiley:

1 Like

Yes just try any of them out and see which one works better on your Nas. Some often don’t work so it’s just finding the best fit for your device.
Djflix one works well. The icebear one doesnt work for me.

Ok, re-reading your container tutorial I missed where you said to disable the bubbleupnp app that I dl from the bubblesoft site. I thought the container was working in conjunction with the app but it sounds like you’re saying it works on its own. After disabling the original app the fireplex container is working again. Hopefully for good. Sorry for all the confusion. :smiley:

2 Likes

Yep you can’t have both running as they will be both vying for the same port on the Nas and get a conflict.

1 Like

Thanks, it makes sense now. I was confused about how to get to the settings page without the app installed but I figured out I can pull it up with the url for my NAS and the port assignment for bubble. It’s still working so hopefully no more issues.

I finally got transcoding enabled on the QNAP before the memory arrives and no need for containers :slight_smile:

Scroll down to the x86_64: section and cut and paste the command into a SSH window while logged in as admin

wget -O - http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/optware-ng/bootstrap/buildroot-x86_64-bootstrap.sh | sh

Once the package manager is installed, install the ffmpeg package

https://bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver2/docs/linux_install.html#optware_ng_ffmpeg

step 3 near the bottom

/opt/bin/ipkg install ffmpeg

So two commands in a ssh window was all that was needed

3 Likes

I’m glad you figured that out. I wasn’t sure what those commands were doing and didn’t feel comfortable doing it. I think someone pointed out that you need to be mindful of future firmware updates that alter what you’ve done.

The first command just downloads and installs a package manager and the second uses the package manager it just installed to install a specific package i.e. ffmpeg
If I have to do that again after a firmware update so be it but hopefully a bubbleupnp server update will sort it out anyway.

1 Like

I tried doing this last night and it didn’t work for me. The first command is not working for some reason. I’m not clear on how the first commands works, is it loading a pkg similar to how I manually load a qpkg from the app center? It’s not super urgent since my container is working but I though having some redundancy in place might make sense.

The first command is downloading and installing a package manager. Are you sure you’ve copied the entire command? What ssh command line program are you using? What error message if any are you getting?
After the package manager is installed the second command is the one that downloads and installs ffmpeg from the Optware repository.

ok so when I get in to the console and paste the command it repeats it multiple times but doesn’t appear to do anything.