Buzzing PS555

It is.

Yesterday I tried the power-line on both the 552 and 500…no buzz, just a slight hum. So I can assume there’s nothing wrong with the PL.

Now this has got me thinking…I always prefered the XPS 2 over the 555 running the CDS3. Is it possible there could be something wrong with the 555?

Going back to the thread beginning at 15 years old it needs a service, check the serial number of your unit against the Naim website to get the exact age?
Any chance of taking it into a local dealer to check out?

1 Like

Hi Gazza, I live in Spain and the closest dealer to me are over 200 kms away. This in itself, is not a problem. Its their lack of confirmation that concerns me. To give you a couple of examples. The main distributer in Barcelona has had my CDS3 for over a year, together with my Hi-line (broken lugs). Communication has been very poor. I have been trying to get the HL back for the longest while. All I get is “someone will get back to you”…still no cable.

The dealer closest to me is in Valencia. I sent them an email to ask for a quote for a full service on the 500. The reply was to send the unit in, and after they’ve done their checks, they can then informed of the actual cost. I was under the impression NAIM has a set list of things to be done for such service and therefore should know the price in advance.

Oh sorry…….thats not a great situation to be in. Perhaps others have better ideas, to me Naim should be taking up your problems with the local distributor…… @Richard.Dane maybe able to person your problems to the right person at HQ?

You should talk to the dealer from whom you bought the 555PS. It may well be fine, just the transformer buzzes a bit on your particular mains supply (see FAQ on here). Nothing particularly unusual there, but if you want the dealer to check it over then I’d imagine they would happy to do so if they’ve recently sold it to you.

Powerline is not shielded?! :astonished:

I was just thinking about getting one to try but if that’s the case I’ll leave it, there’s no way to avoid power cables touching each other behind my system.

Don’t let that put you off. I don’t see the point in shielded mains cables myself. Just try and keep mains cables away from cables carrying low level signals, such as interconnects.

Ok thanks James, I am able to keep interconnects, speaker cables etc away from them, so that’s good at least.
It’s just that because my system is in a low wide unit with wall sockets directly behind there is a very short distance for the mains cables. I have to bunch up the extra length on the floor and under the unit :grimacing:

1 Like

The 555 was purchased 15 years ago from a UK dealer. Been living in Spain since then.

Ah ok.

Quick question. Do NAIM stipulate what is required for a full service on a component?

If you send an item to Naim then barring any additional repair work that may be required, there’s a set service routine.

Ok. Thank you.

I have three PowerLines from new and i can confirm that mine do not click either.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.