Buzzing PS555

My CDS3 has been at the dealer for over a year for a mech replacement. NAIM no longer the parts to repair! After a year without music, I had to find a solution, hence the NDS.

:laughing:

1 Like

Thank you, James. I have not tried the power-line on the other components yet, But will do later today. Regarding the serviceā€¦its schedule to be done this year.

Itā€™s not unknown for screw connections to loosen over the years, is everything tight in your powerline?
I had one where the fuse holder wasnā€™t gripping the fuse at one end, easily adjusted by my dealer (or me if it hadnā€™t been new at the time)?
Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d put it past Naim to have torque specified for the cable clamp screws? @Richard.Dane

Iā€™d would have thought so.

It is a bit odd though if the buzz is just happening when the Powerline is connected. Are you sure the Powerline is in all the way? If not, you gat a poor contact and arcing which probably could cause a buzz.

What do you miss about CD vs. NDS Dan?

I have trouble with buzzing PS. And I always worry that my Powerlines arenā€™t fully in. I always push them in as hard as I dare but thereā€™s never a positive click or anything like that

1 Like

Iā€™ve had the CDS2 and CDS3 at same time as NDS. They donā€™t sound perhaps as good as thw NDS. I miss the act of playing CDs and having an extra 2 boxes on the rack with CD and power aupply. They are like friends and I miss them! Having said that it makes most sense to keep the NDS over them. When funds become preaent I may indulge myself in a CD player again. If you keep coming back to something it is a sign that it is right perhaps!

2 Likes

I played a CD transport into my NDS DAC and compared the same album with Tidal.

I preferred the CD transport.

Not enough to justify going back to CD though. Although I know what you mean about the enjoyment of using discs.

I am comtemplating a CD transport as well. What one did you use?

I know exactly what you mean. I once had my 555 refuse to fire up. After much sweating over how hard to push I failed and was convinced the unit was faulty. My long suffering dealer came around and to my horror pushed a tiny bit more and it was sortedā€¦. Embarrassed didnā€™t quite cover it lol!

There is but possibly not what you think :rofl::sweat_smile:

1 Like

One of these in transport mode. I think a transport is all you need with that wonderful NDS DAC. I tried the CD player straight into the pre amp but the NDS DAC was on a whole different level as it should be! I think youā€™d have to spend an awful lot of money on a CD player to better it

2 Likes

:+1::joy:
The 555ps is buzzing because of taking pleasure. Donā€™t whip it, it will buzz more.

Careful around here @frenchrooster !!
You will be called frenchcapon (there must be more than one joke in that :rofl:) otherwise :wink:

Chapon ? Al chapon ? ( Al Capone)

To help the OP, I wonder if a DC blocker was already mentioned. It can stop the ps buzzing I think to remember.

I have 4 Powerlines, and not one of them ever clicks when I connect it. They were all bought used, so I suppose itā€™s conceivable that they loosen with age although they all appear to be in excellent condition.

The CD sounded just right compared to what Im hearing from the NDS. Admittedly, Iā€™ve just started on the streaming game, therefore I think I will need to optimise the NDS before I can make a valid comparison.

I remember preferring the XPS2 on the CD compared to the 555.