Cable burn in

Possible but please do not generalize.

Separating the cables makes sense - but they don’t necessarily have to be different types of cable. You can use the same cable for either digital or analogue use - though you need to use shielded cables for some purposes, and not for others. The materials used can be the same, though.

1 Like

Every (non-optical) cable is used to run electric currents through, and these can either be used in a digital fashion by converting the shape of the signal to 0’s and 1’s, or in an analog fashion by reading the full waveform as a signal. The cable itself doesn’t really matter…

Example of a digital signal:

1 Like

Somehow I cannot click a link in your post and did not find this text on Google, but I found this question asked to Bill Low from AudioQuest, Ray Kimber from Kimber Cable, Karen Sumner from Transparent Audio, and David Salz from WireWorld: “Do Cables Have an Expiration Date?”

Kimber says, “My thoughts are that a cable could deteriorate. The jacket could
degrade depending on the plastic used and the environment (UV exposure for
example), and the conductor could oxidize (such as if moisture was captured
under the jacket during extrusion). So, there are lots of factors in that question.”

But then blames pets mostly, “We have customers with cable from 1985
that’s been sent in for repair – usually it’s pets. Kimber has sold 1000’s of
miles of PBJ cable, which is a Teflon product, so unless mechanical trauma is
involved it could last hundreds of years!”

Salz: “My position is that cables only have an expiration date if their design does not
adequately protect them from internal corrosion and breakdown due to bending
stress. High quality cables actually tend to improve with age as they continue
to break in as they are used.”

Sumner: “Well-made cables oxidize relatively little over time. Find out
if your old cables are well made. Do they have impermeable, pressure-extruded
jackets and shiny, hard solder connections with high silver content solder that
seal the termination points? Do high-grade connectors cover the connections to
help prevent oxidation?”

Low: ““As for degradation over time, there is one main area of
vulnerability – cables with multiple bare-copper strands touching.”

All from: “Do Cables Have an Expiration Date?” on Audiophile Review. (Google for it)

1 Like

I am unsure about how to share some documents and links about cable aging, cable burn-in and other interesting points, in industries different of audio (this at least should help to close the claim that if it does not exist in other industries, it does not exist in audio). Can somebody refer me to the rules in this forum?

With this in mind - please do not post “live” links to commercial hi-fi or other commercial websites and please do not link or make any reference to discussions posted on other forums or social media platforms. Any links posted in the Hi-fi Corner that are deemed by the moderators to have any commercial purpose, or that have further links therein that lead to commercial websites, will be removed.

(link is on the main page top right)

1 Like

Some analog cables can transfer a digital signal.

Many digital cables cannot transfer an analog signal.

An in any case the cables recommended for each application have very different characteristics: impedance, etc.

Please just paraphrase if possible. Otherwise forum rules are in the FAQ.

1 Like

The debate will stop definitely after Raphael’s measurements.
Joking of course, but who knows, maybe his test will be recognised. I hope so.

1 Like

Sorry for the diversion but it is nice to share a moment of normality. I hope to be able to travel also with my family, soon.

I am reading and preparing to be back in the discussion in good shape, soon.

3 Likes

Doesn’t look like a train at all!

I would not be so sure…the French rail network is pretty sophisticated.

2 Likes

We should probably see the new Maglev train, from China.

1 Like

This is a very short train though :wink:

1 Like

If Rafael needs a precision instrument to measure time, a Chinese train would be useful. Arrival and departure times are atomic clock accurate. Passengers are like olympic athletes on starting blocks for boarding and leaving the train.

1 Like

Train a sustentation magnetic ( magnetic levelled). The real should be longer….

I know, just kidding. I rode the older maglev in Shanghai a few times to the airport

1 Like

I know, and In an earlier post on tge proposed testing I did suggest listening tests before the electrical.

But something would be achieved if testing proved categorically that there is change. (Unfortunately if there is no change, testing can’t prove that categorically, only that playing music or whatever, at whatever power, for whatever period, does not cause any changes of types x,y,z detectable by methods a,b,c).

1 Like

Reading… There really is a lot of crap about audio cables in internet, I can understand that it makes some of you angry.

2 Likes