Cable burn in

There are some interesting technical discussions and papers online from a couple well know cable manufacturers that discuss this. From their perspective it is not so much burn-in as settling.

When a cable is in-situ undisturbed, it undergoes minute changes over several electromagnetic properties. Which is the reason why at trade shows, everyone goes in and lays the speaker cables for their stalls in place and plonks the speakers down as soon as possible a few days before the show starts. It is also why AB cable tests are flawed because you are testing two disturbed cables which will not sound the same as they do in a real system long term setupā€¦

For the same reason, a well used cable will, after being disturbed significantly (like being coiled up and moved to a new location and uncoiled), will need to settle all over again over the course of a week or so.

6 Likes

Burn in is a Basic thing when it is done it is done you donā€™t need to bake the cake twice all though maybe you could warm it up for 30 min.
If you wait for a Full Moon and leave your cable out in the garden on a clear night it will
improve 1/10th of 1% i am absolutely positive of this! ( Just send me a stamped self addressed envelope and i will gladly provide you the reasoning behind this, it is i am told compulsive reading ) This is exactly the same gain you will get from all the various theories
you can find out there so yes they do work!
Just ask the people who promote them.

1 Like

I would be very worried that if I left say a witch hat cable out in the full moon around halloween it would get possessed by a demon. This would I believe make it sound terrible!!

1 Like

Occasionally the idea that itā€™s possible to overthink things springs to mind.

1 Like

I have it on authority it works for Black Sabbath.

You are being mislead (ā€œEveryoneā€) on the size of the significance of cable resting.
Also with all the logistics involved of setting up a show this would hardly be a priority.ā€™
Speakers first and T.T. last would actually be a norm.
Many have not much belief in cables let alone cable direction those that are Fixated on
cable Resting would take some ferreting out.
And even if it were so it not be a audible factor in a Hotel room demo donā€™t you think.

Itā€™s truly moving to see so many people so enjoy displaying their wit so well while all singularly failing to be helpful.

For the OP, the short answer is:
If itā€™s burnt in, itā€™s burnt in, but after installation it may take a little time to settle.

9 Likes

The End.

3 Likes

ā€¦of the beginning :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

s-l300
I got this cable just to try out last Friday, not expensive ,van damme silver plated ofc .

Sounded quite bright and a bit harsh with my phono stage,so plugged it into my tuner and left that on for the last few days.
Tried it again with my phono stage last night and now sounds a bit soft and a little murky ?

Did you finish your popcorn?

Quite right it is a serious subject!

I suspect most are being as helpful as it is possible to be given the subject, wit notwithstanding!

No. It was rather uneventful compared to the old thread. I thought about posting something in an attempt to get people all fired up but I refrained.

1 Like

Has anyone done a blind test for cable burn in?

4 Likes

:grimacing:

1 Like

Yes I tried a blind test once but couldnā€™t find where to plug in the cable

13 Likes

I believe that a number of people are being as helpful as the can without risking the ire of those who believe they can accurately remember the effect the cables had on the sound of their system one to three months previously.

4 Likes

I remember when I changed my ethernet cableā€¦I thought something was broken!..then over a period of a week it got better and betterā€¦