Cable burn in

And of course all other possible changes were carefully controlled, and your ears and mood stayed the same, being the precision instruments that they are :wink:

1 Like

No measurements were needed it did not sound goodā€¦very sibilent and dynamically crushed and virtually no stereo depthā€¦I was amazedā€¦

It may well have, Iā€™m not doubting that. Iā€™d be less sure about the reason

Those, but also the moderation who, how admirable in many other ways they are, donā€™t always appear to be objective in such matters.

2 Likes

I think we only need to answer the Original Post - and that has been done to his satisfaction.

Hears the thing I was extremely sceptical over cablesā€¦and when this happened to me I went through my systemā€¦checking everything. It was definitely the cableā€¦and a digital one at thatā€¦ I have since tried the din to xlr 552/500 cables that made a difference. Also I may add I tried alternative mains leads ā€¦ which made a huge differenceā€¦ just saying it as it isā€¦have look at this I experienced the same phenomonumā€¦(excuse spelling)

Last change In the main system were cables, after the conditioners. First those of the speakers, from the honest Chord Epic XL to the sublime TQ Silver Diamond. TQ already warns front the prolonged burn in time, even recommending a shooting disc, with a recommended cable aerobics cut once a week; but after many hours with them, they still sounded horrible, flat, dull, without body, bright, without bass ā€¦, so horrible that I was already planning its sale and the return to the Epic XL. And one day, suddenly, click, and the sound began to balance, to come out the bass, to size the sound imageā€¦, effectively sublime.

I have also experienced this same process with the Musical Fidelity NuVista 600, which also clicked a day after many hours of operation, and sublime; and with interconnections and power cables, and ethernet, although to a lesser extent and not with such a sudden and abrupt change. This in terms of cable burn in.

Another thing is whether they contribute, do not contribute, or to what extent they can change the sound; in my experience they can contribute a lot, or subtract a lot, because they can change the sound significantly, for the better and for the worse.

1 Like

Be happy.

This cableā€™s burning in nicely:

4 Likes

This is a higher cost and quality cable. It has more of an inky dark background during burn in :sunglasses:

4 Likes

25 years ago George Cardas was talking about giving even well used cables a chance to settle in once moved around.

1 Like

Has anyone ever taken a more scientific approach and measured how the frequency response in the room changes over a few weeks/months? I believe a lot of burn in is just your ears adjusting to the new piece of kit. Certainly, major items take a little while to settle down but I am more sceptical about cables.

2 Likes

It was attempted to come up with an experiment in an older thread about cable burn-in but it got closed, I donā€™t know why

Since mains fuses are SPECIFICALLY designed to stop cables burning, does that mean that cables in a system canā€™t burn in while mains fuses are fitted to the equipment?

1 Like

This is a section of the cable I plan to use for my speakers.

I hope it will burn in fast and uneventfully.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s no good, itā€™s aluminium!

1 Like

Always remember that aluminium has less resistivity than copper per weight.

Imagine trying to relax that burndy.

What is it??

Hear hearā€¦!!!

Exactly why itā€™s used for overhead power cables.

I suppose if you have a very large loop of cable suspended by hanging it off the connectors on the amp and/or speakers, weight may become an issue!

1 Like