Cable management, aka the rat's nest is driving me doolally

Loved this album in my penurious youth, when a rat’s nest was only a distant dream. In fact, I played it at the weekend. The music is still fun, but they didn’t think much of women, did they? 'Orrible, unforgivable lyrics.

:small_blue_diamond:Hmack,…Yes it will do :+1:t2::smiley:.

I have always been careful with the cable-dressing.
But 1992 it became extra clear…Or very,very clear to me how great importance for soundquality cable-dressing has.

:small_orange_diamond:If you do the wrong way,.then you kill a bit of the musicality in your music-system.

:black_small_square:So a council,…Always listen before and after,.if you make a change to your cable-dressing.
Do not take for granted that it sounds better because it looks “Good”

It’s hard to explain for me in English,.so I’ll come back later with pictures,explaining how I discovered this with the importance of detail,when it comes to cable-dressing.

This was in an active system,and they are especially sensitive to the importance of detail.

/Peder🙂

I would understand how he had such a mess, what in all probability of swapping out or changing stuff on a regular basis without careful reroute of cables.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Wife? Or possibly upgrading to Wife 2.0? Some consider de-installing Wife altogether.

2 Likes

You win! That’s the best post on this thread.

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face: I should mention - do not install Wife 2.0 before completely removing Wife 1.0 - you get terrible crosstalk otherwise

6 Likes

Do you advise trying at home before committing to a wife upgrade?

What’s the typical ‘burn in’ time? And are there frequent ups and downs while that happens?

3 Likes

Probably the most costly upgrade option?

G

3 Likes

I wouldn’t try a home-trial before upgrading - performance of the current Wife can be seriously degraded.
If you get a second hand Wife 2.0 then it can take a long time to burn in, but the result can be more satisfactory.
Mind you, I believe that in some regions you can install multiple versions at the same time, though I’ve never been convinced that this is a good idea.

3 Likes

Yes it can be, as can a complete de-installation even without an upgrade.

3 Likes

Really? A prize for the best misogynistic post of the year? Women as objects? How can this possibly be remotely amusing?

1 Like

It is but a joke - more about software and marital/cohabiting problems really.
I note, though, that these days jokes about men, as well as quite serious misandry, seems usually to be quite acceptable.
But if you find it offensive and unacceptable then I apologise.

3 Likes

You can get them cheap from the Internet.

3 Likes

It may be a joke with no mean spiritedness behind it, but it is this casual sexism / misogyny that can make negative attitudes appear acceptable, and we all know where that leads. You only have to see the number of posts that refer to ‘the wife’ as if she were a bag of spuds.

1 Like

It’s usually the female of the species at this point of the season that makes the most noise. Smaller ones maybe earlier and the larger ones later. With their male counterparts being the ones objectified.
Most males respond by having the most colourful plumage, loudest song, most smelliest wee/poo. Biggest horns etc… male human counterparts usually respond by booking the best weekend break or most flattering jeans bought from a ladies boutique shop.
Most definitely not from considering that cable upgrade.

2 Likes

Mines an absolute mess especially since I’ve moved it recently. Was hoping to do it this weekend but have no idea where and how to start. :thinking:

Also can anyone recommend a good replacement power cord for the flimsy and very disappointing original power cord supplied as new for my UnitiServer

BTW, upon noting my half smile reading one of the posts, my better half, who I have never called “the wife” (and no upgrade ever, ever needed or contemplated), leaned over and read what I had, and laughed - herself then suggesting the home trial…

3 Likes

I did loads of research on this 12-18 months ago. The overwhelming reaction was ‘don’t bother’! I identified what looked to be a high quality linear ps, subject of one highly complimentary review, by someone who used the US as a digital source rather than UpNp sever. It cost best part of £1,000, and I was told by forum members that, for my purposes (ripping and serving only) it was a waste of money. I’m still using the original, and am completely satisfied with SQ.

It’s not the SQ, it’s the quality of the power cable it’s self. It’s loose and lacks (or seems to) any subsistence. For a $4.5k (Aus) computer the power cable looks and feels like an after thought.