Call for a return of the Phono button

Happy Birthday Goldfinger!

Goldfinger1

4 Likes

It’s why I’m so fond of the 42.5 - know roughly where I am with inputs labelled Phono, Tuner, Tape :+1:

1 Like

Hahaha! Well done!

My apologies - couldn’t resist! :slight_smile:

No problem. It’s not mine :laughing:

1 Like

As much as I like a phono input, simply giving a line-level input a different name, would be odd at best, unless you can change the labels to suit your needs. I much preferred the symbols on my Ayre AX 7 to listening to records via the tuner input on my Bow ZZ one. The latter had Line 1 and 2 as inputs, but the were at the other end of the rotary switch, with the CD player connected to the CD input.

Me too -awful attempt at a joke -I wouldn’t buy the thing -agree with HH not even laughable attempt at humour–meh!

D41

It remains however among the best preamps on the market. But aesthetics are particular.

3 Likes

Yep. Superb engineering and build too. Questionable on the aesthetics front. Very interesting review in Hi-Fi Critic.

2 Likes

Martin Colloms liked it?

Yep. Found the full review online for you FR - Google ‘ dartzeel hifi critic ‘

1 Like

Just read it. He deserved to it the Audio Excellence price.

1 Like

I agree

It’s only traditional convention that ‘phono’ implies a built in MM phono stage. Conversely, everyone accepts that ‘cd’ means just another line level input, but if we applied the same logic one could argue that ‘cd’ should imply a built in dac (ie that CD means a cd transport, not also the dac).

Naim’s source options on the pre amps are just a bit stuck in the 2000’s.

My view, in no particular order

• stream
  • cd
  • phono (powered to suit Stageline etc)
    Then I’m ambivalent on what the extra sources are labelled
1 Like

Well put. Thinking more about it, it becomes all very simple if we don’t ascribe technical meanings to the buttons that are all line level anyway, but simply take each one as the button that activates the source whose label it carries, like normal people. Solved :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t think I care. My SuperLine is on Aux2. My NDX2 is on CD. I know what buttons to push. No big deal to me. I can’t read the labels from where I sit anyway.

1 Like

1 Like

You all are like the people who complain about flaws in analog reissues of 60 yr old tapes, worrying more about how everything makes your system sound, and forgetting how your system can bring bring you joy of great music to listen to. If you decide to refocus on the latter, button names are silly and irrelevant. :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s rather patronising. It’s just a bit of fun.

4 Likes

So extending that logic, should we have a button labelled NAT01 in the first location?

Sure, but for that you don’t need NDX2/XPSR/252/SCDR/300DR either. :smirk_cat:

2 Likes