Can fiber improve vs lan cable

The oM does burn in a bit - it’s not the fiber of course, but the linear regulators and clock. But you should notice an uplift right off the bat (in front your ND555). Best practice is to not plug the upstream and downstream devices on the same circuit, and the nearest one not on the same circuit as the hifi.

I’ll have my opticalRendu on Friday which is really the end game as far as the oM is concerned, at least according to Sonore and users over on AS. Cant wait…

So what if someone is using a hydra system of power cables?
Should they plug in the last oM (or their ER) using one of the hydra IEC leads, or not?

Try it. I’m just saying best ‘practice’ not necessarily a rule. May not make a difference.

I’m pretty sure that the one thing that doesn’t need a “burn in”, at all, is the clock (the FEMTO oscillator)… The “clock” is the one thing that shouldn’t vary :wink:

Anyway, as said above I’ll connect the OM between the 3560 and my computer and test/monitor it during a couple of weeks.

The OM and the LPS-1.2 will be placed in my network cabinet with the rest of the network stuff. The network cabinet is in a cubbyhole where I store my climbing stuff as well, far from the listening room

Are you not able to run fiber to your 555? My thinking would be that a long fiber run and then short ethernet would result in the best sound quality.

I could run the fiber through the walls, but not sure it’ll help.
Short runs of Ethernet cable isn’t a good idea.

I guess I’ll keep my ~12 meters of Ethernet cable and the AQ Vodka for the last 1,5 meter.

And having those ugly little boxes (OM and LPS1.2) near my system isn’t really appealing :grin:

–> Acoustic panels

The opticalRendu for Roon showed up. Feeding it via the opticalModule and out put via Atlas Element USB cable (for the time being). Sound is incredibly detailed, natural and more relaxed (without losing the Naim PRAT) and for the first time I feel like I’m truly hearing what hi-end hifi is about. As good as the microRendu 1.4 is for what it is, the opticalRendu/opticalModule combo take it to the next level. Still having to use the mR for the office so the server shelf is getting full up!

2 Likes

Great Charles. Delighted that the opticalRendu is working for you too.

Because it is so small, I suspect that many people fail to realise just how good it is.

Best regards, BF

1 Like

Hey thanks. Yeah, trying to eke as much out of the V1 as possible, and the opticalRendu is a huge jump. After having invested so much in the microRendu with the upgrade and everything, and an opticalModule bridge, I was hesitant to take the jump. But the offer was too good, and glad I did. Incredibly real sounding instrumentation, long decays, and much lower noise floor (actually have to turn it up more now). Runs really hot - put a black aluminum heat sink on top to see if that does anything. But I’m using Sonore’s PS (Audience Forte power cable, and Ghent Neotech solid 16ga DC cable). Still burning in - no idea how many hours a company demo would have and it looks unused to me.

Using the Small Green Computer LPS that came with the package deal to power the mR (middle of server shelf) to cast Roon to the Unitiqute (this ‘budget’ oR has only the Roon app). Even having to not sell the mR I saved a bunch of $ though. Simplified all around and now have an opticalModule to sell and… start considering a rebuild for the 160… and maybe a better USB cable. Slippery slopes…

All the parts arrived.

I’ll now connect the kit between the Catalyst 3560 and… my main computer.
It’ll be connected to the ND555 after some monitoring :nerd_face:

Still not convinced it’ll make any difference… We’ll see.

But one thing is certain here: no expectations bias :joy:

You should give it a second read, you probably missed the “still” and the “we’ll see” :wink:

I don’t understand how someone can be unconvinced before even having tried. Specially for a product which is so acclaimed on all audio forums.
Anyway don’t want however to continue this eternal discussion that appears regularly in the streaming threads.

1 Like

Absolutely, you’re obviously right. It’s in our very nature. There is always a bias of some kind; the stronger the bias the more one’s perception is altered. A rather interesting subject.

I try not to take this whole “audiophile” thing too seriously. Of course I enjoy having new toys, but not enough to suffer from strong bias (at least I hope so!).

Being sceptic and not expecting wonders is my very bias.

But as you may have noticed I bought all that stuff. So not expecting it do the job it is supposed to do wouldn’t be particularly clever.

It works best if you dip the cables in snake oil before installing them!

1 Like

Poor snakes! For that particular usage I suggest hippogriff oil, commonly known as “liquid flash”. It allows photons to travel faster than light through the fiber. Unfortunately it is quite rare, brewed by Dumbledore himself! :mage:

1 Like

Why don’t you just hook it up to the ND555 and see? I don’t understand this need to ‘monitor’ it. Yes, both pieces will burn in and sound better over time, but if there’s a change, you’ll hear it from the get go. Keep in mind this will be subtle, and only a bit of extra glaze (or possibly glaze removal as it may be) on an already well iced cake.

I half agree, because I would not wait personally 1 week before installing it before the streamer. But would at least let it run 24 hours before listening.

I usually proceed that way with network components (if I can).

Apart from that, I think it is beneficial to know that everything works as it should before any subjective test. And it is funnier that way :smile:

Theoretically it should lower the noise floor. But to what extent, it’s hard to tell.

My system is quite revealing, so if there is difference it should be noticeable.

But of course I realise it won’t be as obvious as adding a HiCap, XPS, SuperCap, etc.

Lowering a bit the noise floor could justify the cost.

I’m not in a rush. I’m enjoying the new 555PS DR uplift, when I’m not out for some climbing.

The Sonore Optical Module + Uptone LPS-1.2 is connected to the computer I’m using right now.

Everything seems to work smoothly.
Let’s load the little thing with a full backup :sweat_smile:

I have some sorry news for you. Had a look at the specs of the ND555 and the oM won’t output to that - it only outputs 1000 and won’t auto negotiate (so the receiver needs to be 10/100/1000). The ND555 is 10/100 only,