Acoustic panels

Nice room are they all monster on side wall.

Yes all monsters. The black ones are range limited , the light coloured ones are full range , at first reflection point. There’s also 2 range limited monsters behind front and rear curtains , sitting on windowsill.

Looks like you have a pair of in-wall DBL’s there on the right sidewall!
Hmmmmmm…not a bad idea, if I say so myself!

Are they the flex range or are you using scatter plate.?

As @Folkman mentioned, treating first reflection points (left, right and ceiling) and room corners results in audible and measurables improvements. GIK Acoustic provides great products and advises.

I did treat my room in 4 or 5 phases. Each time adding, moving, replacing treatment. The final result is immensely pleasant. In fact, there is no going back.

Apart from being enjoyable for music, the room also became more peaceful. That relaxed atmosphere is also quite pleasant. Silence quality, is something I also enjoy a lot.

6 Likes

I reckon you spend alot of cash on your room.

Indeed, but no need to spend as much as I did to get great results.

A few GIK panels (Monster Bass Traps, Tricorners, etc.), well placed should provide an immediate uplift in sound quality.

DIY is also an option to consider.

Depending on your sitting position (distance between your ears and speakers), what you hear can be up to 50%-60% (or more) room reflexions…

1 Like

I know it’s something people don’t think about but I agree the difference is amazing. This is my room for now… Still working on it.

1 Like

Indeed, the room impact is largely underestimated!
Probably due to lack of interest or knowledge :thinking:

Your treatment is coherent and, previsibly, should enhance your music experience. Well done!

Next step would be the ceiling, second reflexions and the back wall of course.

Very nice listening room :star_struck:

Hi Hawkmoon. Was just thinking if you have an audible low frequency lift issue in your sparsely dressed room you could try and replace your Corner Tritraps with GIK Soffit Bass Traps ( these can be ordered in a fabric blending in with your wall colour). The Soffits ( 42x42x120cm) deal very effectively with frequencies down to 30 Hz ie a more full range design. I’ve used them in the immediate corners behind my speakers to great effect. Like Folkman I also have range limited absorbers behind my curtains, as the biggest problem-frequency in my room is a 80-100Hz ( see photo) Just keep going… :+1:t3: ATB Peter

PS. After a lot of trials I decided not to treat my ceiling partly from an aesthetic point of view- as Thomas said the back wall behind your listening position lends itself to reduce a lot of high frequency reflections, and in my case that seemed to win the game in the end.

2 Likes

I did exactly the same, treated my room bit by bit.

Also fully agree with the room becoming more peaceful, gives a very calm atmosphere. Its very nice to just to sit in without even playing music. A brilliant by product of treating your room , and virtually never mentioned.

1 Like

It’s a working process it has some high frequency issues but slowly getting there.

I have two GIK 242’s on my ceiling 2 Monsters behind my speakers and a Impression panel on my rear wall (immediately behind my head), I didn’t use the GIK ceiling mounts as I didn’t want them to stand out too much so used 4 “Modesty blocks” on each one with a cap over the visible screw head.

Good Evening,

I have two GIK242’s on my ceiling.

Regards

Richard

1 Like

Hi what do you think sound wise and I would prefare to hang flush to ceiling if possible. But looking at yours they seem OK on the gik bracket.

I have detailed my experience with GIK acoustic panels elsewhere. I contacted GIK and just took their advice at face value i.e. installed the panels as prescribed and haven’t experimented as some on here clearly have.

They advised getting their Room Kit #3 + an extra 242. I fitted the two roof panels equidistantly i.e. the room is 4.7mtrs long so they were fitted on 1.567mtr centres which neatly fitted in around the centre light fitting. I’m assuming there is a good reason for the roof panels being distanced slightly from the ceiling using the GIK supplied brackets?

The centre point of other two 242’s are fitted at the first reflection point along the side walls i.e. 1.79mtrs.

The bass trap is, currently, just stood against the rear wall waiting on the new curtains being hung.

The other piece of advice I took was to move my listening location to 38% of the room length from the front wall i.e. a near field position as this is the best ‘null’ point. Yes it seems odd at first but it is a dedicated listening room and the chair is the only piece of furniture in there.

I also have to add that I already had Linn’s Sound Optimisation (V2) in operation when these panels were fitted.

The impact of the panels collectively was transformational especially in respect to the bass. The implementation of SO had already made some inroads in to eliminating the peak at 36.6Hz but the panels suppressed this still further allowing what was previously being masked/ suppressed to appear.

The lower bass region became much clearer and the whole sound stage much more detailed and ‘open’. I hadn’t realised how much the room was impacting on what I was trying to listen to.

I am very much a convert for both SO and acoustic panels and just shake my head at those ‘luddites’ that still try to match a speaker to the room to try and accommodate the deficiencies of said room.

Regards

Richard

5 Likes

linesrg, I have just moved my gear into a new, smaller room, with nothing in it and the echoes are pronounced. I’ve learnt a lot about acoustic panels these last couple of days, having never considered or heard about them before, and am considering options. I was intrigued by your advice about listening position - do you mean 38% from front, not rear, wall? i.e. if the room is 5m long, you should sit 1.9m from the front wall with the speakers? Or have I got this wrong.

aurinia,

Yes I would be sitting at 1.9mtr from the front wall with the speakers - in my case 1.79mtrs as the room is actually 4.7mtrs long.

Regards

Richard

Hi if your room is let’s say 240 inches you sit from front wall 91 inches with your speakers in front, or you can sit 90 inches from back wall i sit 90 from front wall and my room is 240 long and my speakers are 30 inches from front driver to wall.