Canon lens repairs

Thanks, my explanation of the ribbon connector having to move as the lens extended may have been incorrect , just elements within the lens barrel moving back and forth I think.

edit: Confused now. Actually, the inner barrel does seem to move in and out.

Interestingly I’d noticed a bit of resistance at one point when zooming for some time - presumably from the dislodged or broken ribbon connector.

The only issue with Bristol I have no sense of geography!

Last time I went to Bristol Airport I managed to arrive behind a fence on the perimeter of the runway where ‘plane spotters’ were viewing the flights landing and taking off… :man_facepalming:

Crikey, you’d have to be sure you’d get the value/usage if it might become obsolete after 10 years.

I’m trying to remember if I got the lens in a closing down sale in the local Currys for roughly half price some years ago (along with the 70-200 F2.8 IS L which was nicked along with several other items).

If I was a professional photographer then I suspect I’d just write the cost off as I’d have likely recouped the investment in a short space of time from work/expenses. Sadly as a hobbyist it’s great to have some nice equipment but I suspect I never used it frequently enough to say I’d had my money’s worth but I dare say if I go back and look at family photos when the kids were younger it would have paid for itself simply for a dozen or so superb photos (out of many bad ones) that I could never capture again.

1 Like

Pretty sure I used them a few years ago to repair a Canon digital camera very good service indeed.

1 Like

It’s the opposite side of Bristol, from the air port,
The posh bit
It’s near the where the Zoo used to be?
Easier than getting to LCE
Which is the heart of the city

2 Likes

Or to put it in hifi perspective, it is just one mile from Plastic Wax Records!

1 Like

Or 8mins from audio T

1 Like

Lulsgate Bottom.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone has mentioned Fixation in Clapham, London. They repair Nikon and Canon cameras and lenses and do warranty repairs for Nikon and some other brands too. I used them once years ago to repair a Nikon lens and I was pleased with the outcome.

I see from their website that they do repairs by post (or you can deliver and collect yourself).

Their website is at fixationuk.com

4 Likes

So that’s the airport perimeter I arrived at?

It was quite some time ago, and probably just took a wrong turning. Long before sat nav etc.

Didn’t know the zoo had closed, but last time I went I recall the animals looking in a rather sad/sorrry state.

Fixation London is the best for service of Canon and nikon - they service professionals equipment and have done so for years

1 Like

And just around the corner from Wex……for added unscheduled temptation!

Apologies for being a realist here and I’m not sure what camera body you use or are planning to use it with? On bodies of same generation, they are gorgeous lenses. However, the general rule is with canon L-series lenses is not to use them with bodies more than a couple of generations ‘ahead’. This equates to roughly 10 years. For example your Mk1 lens may actually work on a 1Dx III, but the lens does not have sufficient resolution to create a good image. The same Mk1 lens would also look very poor on a EOS R6, worse on an R5.

The only exception to this are the hand-built ultra-tele primes such as 300/2.8 & 600/4 which have a 15-20 yr ‘life’.

Bearing in mind the above, is it worth repairing?

1 Like

It would currently be used on a 5d Mk II or an EOS 30D.

Things have moved on I appreciate but when I look back at photos with the 5D Mk II in particular results were excellent.

I still plan to get it fixed when other commitments allow.

1 Like

My 300/2.8 IS works very well on my R6🙂

4 Likes

I hear what you say, but I think that a modest cost for repair is preferable to using an L series lens as a door stop.

OTOH, it would be a pretty cool door stop. :laughing:

I suppose that this leads on to the question of whether the Mk. 2, or even 3, versions of older L series lenses are actually verifiably “better” than the originals. Or is this just a marketing exercise to maintain the sales of these “older” lenses?

Discuss.

1 Like

And mine (a mk II version, bought in 2013) on my R3 :smirk:.

1 Like

What really threw me the other day (caterpillar thread) was how good a 6-7 year old iPhone photo was compared to a dedicated expensive macro lens on the 5D II.

How much better are newer phones???

Hmmm. Not sure my iPhone Xs could compete with my 5D4/MPE-65 combo……but I should probably grab myself an iPhone 15 to try it out!

(Yeah I know, any excuse to spend the kids’ inheritance)

1 Like