Cartridge warmup?

So now that my Aria is running in and everything sounding just very well I have noticed something.

When starting to listen the first 15 mins or so sounds a little sedate and then things really come in.

At first unattributed it to phono warmup but turned it on an hour before listening tonight and same effect.

Then searched and found the concept of cartridge warmup. Is this really a thing?

I think so. Indeed Iā€™ve thought so for the last 30 years :nerd_face:

1 Like

Well haha thatā€™s a little longer than my 30 minutes.

The mechanics makes sense. I just did not think about previously. Perhaps mainly as I did not have an analog chain that could show it this well.

1 Like

There is both a cartridge warmer and a cartridge exciter made by an American company I believe - about $400 each. Makes for ā€œinterestingā€ sales pitch readings wonder if it would help a Crossley or an Ionā€¦

1 Like

Yes, one side should do it. Play side 1 as a warm up, repeat side 1, flip for side 2.

2 Likes

Yeah on a four side album things start to shine on the second side played, so finding exactly this.

Oh no! Something else for me to obsess about.šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ Although I canā€™t say itā€™s something Iā€™ve ever noticed in over 40 years of playing vinyl.

1 Like

what can I say? Vinyl is a bottomless pit of inconvenience and expense and compromise. Itā€™s why we love it so much :rofl:

6 Likes

I canā€™t say that Iā€™d noticed either but actually, yes I think so when I think about it. When my amps are back I shall see if I can hear anything

1 Like

They always sound better one side in for me.

That is before you consider ā€œrealā€ cartridge warmup, which is how much better they perform above 21oC vs. below.

1 Like

Do you leave the deck turning all the time to keep the bearing, motor and power supply warm? Youā€™ll still hear the cartridge warm up but the effect wonā€™t be as pronounced.
I managed to run my motor bearings dry doing that but it runs a lot faster, driving a belt around the outside of the platter, youā€™re unlikely to do that on a Rega.

1 Like

Best response ever! LOL. And sorry.

Yeah the difference I notice is from from awesome sounding to really awesome sounding. I think it is also because I was so critically listening to the difference record cleaning had.

No I donā€™t and quite honestly, a 15 min warmup time weighs less in my book than the risks and wear of keeping the whole lot on the whole time.

1 Like

Doesnā€™t everyone have a copy of Sgt Peppers left endlessly playing ?

1 Like

If I had Sgt Pepper it would be a plant pot!

2 Likes

Wondering how much run-time the cartridge has had. Maybe a thing with suspension compliance etc. that is more pronounced when new? (Just guessing)

Imagine that the stylus supposedly heats the groove at the contact point to 400 Ā°C or so for a very short time (I read somewhere once), so if you play side 1 for cartridge warmup and then repeat it, it wonā€™t sound the same anyways :slight_smile:

1 Like

So far almost 200 hours.

Considering that PVC hits deformation temperature at 60 degs Cā€¦ :grimacing: :laughing:

What? Theyā€™ve discovered the Mobius vinyl groove?

Should not be a factor then

But only if the material is heated. If it is true (should be calculable and measurable with sufficient determination and gear), this would be for an extremely short time and only at the tiny contact points, so probably would not propagate into the material sufficiently to cause a permanent change

Yep, infinite run out loop. A number of older vinyl LPā€™s had them. It was a thing once.

1 Like
1 Like