Cat amongst the pigeons

The link plug was part of the Dac, without which the Dac won’t work unless you buy an XPS. So is it an accessory or a component? Just to understand, thanks.

1 Like

Max, you are a regular on the forum, who doubtless knows that this is not a fundamental component, but rather an accessory, when an external ps is not used!
On other words you can “access” Ndac, when an external ps is not used!

1 Like

“Price gouging” and “profiteering” are strong accusations. However, consider this; Naim try to include the cables and link plugs that you’ll need with the equipment. Where there’s a choice of cabling depending upon how you use the equipment then Naim have tried not to include a cable, so you don’t pay for something you can’t use . There are interconnects that cost many hundreds and sometimes thousands that don’t sound as good as the cable that comes packaged by Naim with the equipment. If you lose the interconnect then you can purchase a new one from your dealer. I’ve just looked on a well known UK dealer’s web shop and see the DIN-XLR leads at £79 and the DIN interconnect at £129. That seems quite reasonable to me.

As for the link plug on your Naim DAC, it’s a long discontinued item and demand is small to the point of just not being there (unless you unfortunately lose the one that came with your DAC). Someone has to carefully wire up and solder the multiple pins inside the plug. It’s skilled and time consuming work. I couldn’t do it (and yes, I tried). Once you see one being made you may well change your view of the cost for a replacement. “Profiteering” and “Price gouging”? Frankly I’m surprised they don’t charge more.

15 Likes

In mind for @Eskay, in view of RD’s comments, hopefully hq will build a one off - at very, very, reasonable, serious high price with extra special packaging marked, as one off,
“forum rant link plug special edition N-dac”.
Handle and comment with extreme care!
As always, be careful what you wish for…!

1 Like

Yes I am. And I am aware that the n-Dac was sold as a standalone unit, with no need to buy an external PSU to make it work. An external PSU was, undoubtedly, more an accessory than the link plug was. In this perspective the link plug was an integral and necessary part of the unit - not an accessory.

If this is so, either the OP has been sold an incomplete unit and should open a claim with the seller - provided the norm caveat emptor doesn’t apply - or he himself has lost the part, in which case it’s his responsibility and he shouldn’t complain about the part’s cost.

But in either case all discussions about manufacturing costs, stocking costs, workers’ wages and the current state of the world’s economy are redundant in my opinion.

So, Eskay - please explain: why you don’t have it?

3 Likes

Is irony absolutely necessary?

Irony -absolutely - the Op can expect a delivery from you, foc, of a new link plug? That would be real irony.

Seriously Max, the OP is whingeing about a long discontinued unit, for which for whatever reason, all irrelevant, the OP doesn’t want to pay the going rate for the “item”, hence the rant!
I do think this an accessory, in english, since it is not an exclusive method to power the unit, ymmv.

edit - believe if the op had been more enquiring and less dogmatic, a more interesting, perhaps supportive thread may have resulted !

1 Like

That to me is irrefutable.
And, if the seller said that it was in full working order as sold, but cannot be used in the state in which it was received (i.e. minus blanking plug,) then I think indeed the buyer has a case against the seller. However it may be very simple: the seller may have simply unplugged from a power supply, and completely forgotten that she or he should have dug out the blanking plug that he or she may have stashed away somewhere. So first thing is to enquire of the seller

2 Likes

On what basis? The unit can be powered in different ways, not so?

The link plug has to be exclusive, otherwise, with other options, there is no uniqueness !

Link plugs go missing. I have sone link plugs that I forgot to send on with kit I have sold.

And thing is you sell something for say £1000, which cost £4000 new and you forget to send link plug. Well unfortunate as it is the buyer has still got a great deal. Things happen and with best will in the world sometimes things are amiss.

Don’t get me wrong. If it’s substantial like an XPS Burndy which will cost £200 used that’s different. But link plug costing £50 then fair enough. These things can be bought used from dealers if you email or phone around. Someone always has it used on a shelve or drawer somewhere!

IB really surprised at your amended post. Always enjoyed your posts. There is absolutely no evidence as to how this situation has arisen. The OP complained at the cost, which, should it not, be the focus of this thread? If speculation or a lack of balance just earlier, makes better thread - coat and hat here already in hand; so best out the door.

1 Like

As @Innocent_Bystander said…

When you bought an nDac, it couldn’t work unless the supplied link plug was in place. Hence it is an integral part of the original unit.

IF someone wanted to upgrade via a separate power supply, it could be removed.

Pretty bl------y obvious really.

2 Likes

Totally, totally missed the point, but I’m done!
The forum should be a place for exchange and differences of view…never a place for swearing…when that occurs, it is not a place to linger or inhabit. Please reflect @Wugged_Woy
Why, because it was supplied from factory. so later, it’s an accessory - after market. The same would apply if it was a missing power lead…!!!

Totally, totally missed the point.

The unit was supplied from the factory with a link plug.

Now, most important. The product wasn’t sold by Naim as an ‘nDac and a link plug’. It was sold as an ‘nDac’. The link plug is a part of the ‘nDac’.

4 Likes

Indeed, however I was responding to Max, and in doing so a possible cost-free solution suggested itself as I stated. However I note that the source being a secondhand purchase was speculation and not information imparted by the OP which is something I am guilty of not verifying. In my view what I said stands if it was bought that way, but tgat is irrelevant if the OP has simply lost the plug him or herself.

As for the cost, on the face of it to me the cost does seem excessive, though that is not taking into account the view expressed by Richard.

Regarding my comment that Max’s assertion is irrefutable, that is how I feel, precisely as he expained.

Are you really advocating selling on a unit that will not function because you have cough forgotten to include the link plug? The actual cost of the item is irrevelant.

1 Like

No. Not at all. But sometimes you may forget that the link plug was needed in first place, especially with something like an 82. I have had no compalints on any sales. I am very much on the case.

I am saying inadvertently, a seller may forget to fit a link plug. In some cases it will make no difference depending on power supply new owner uses.

I’m sorry but that is immaterial. It is not for the seller to speculate upon how the unit will be powered by the buyer.

The unit as sold is not fit for purpose. It is a dead parrot!

1 Like

You are being over dramatic. A simple link plug may not be the end of the world.

You need to get a grip mate.

1 Like

I rest my case.