Cat8 Ethernet Cables

Peder, you need to put your war axe away, this is a mocking joke about telephone cables. Even your mate can’t improve on these

It is of interest because unlike RJ45 cables, little is made of the humble RJ11 cable, no adverts, no reviews, does it really not matter?
Perhaps Fibre direct to the Modem/hub would be an upgrade?

I know someone who has changed to fibre - his business is ‘home’ based & has about 5 people in the office.
He gets a much faster line speed & it includes his house as well as the business building.
I asked about SQ & video Q , he says he does not hear anything different on his Linn K-DS with web streaming & web radio but the 4K TV web service has improved picture quality, less movement errors, etc.

Having heard the BJC Cat5e and Cat6 in my system I’d urge to give the latter a try over the former which you use. I’ll even post you some to try.

:small_blue_diamond:@Mike_B,…I just took TiberioMagadino’s post as an example,.it wasn’t directed specifically to him.

What I write about occurs all the time,.this problem regarding cables exists of course also on other forums,that you probably know.

Since this is an international forum,.it is read also by many who are not members.
So,.if you are going to joke,then it is definitely an advantage if you mark this with an emoji.
:small_orange_diamond:How else to know if it’s a joke or not.

Since we represent many different languages here,.and you from England say themselves that your humor is very special.
Then it’s probably an advantage to mark with an emoji when you’re joking.
It is all about respect for each other,and to make oneself understood.

For this from TB,.I did not understand that it was a joke,but you say that it is.

And Mike-B,.how do you mean that anyone should know that the cable-designation is a telephone-cable,.if you have not worked at a telephone company with responsibility for cables.?

So,.to avoid misunderstandings,more emojis :wink::grin:.

/Peder🙂

I use Cat 6a for my network and Cat 5e for connecting my LP12 to my Linn DSM and my Linn DSM to my HP switch. These were Linn’s recommendations.

I have some Connectix Cat 6a patch leads, which I use for computing duties. I need to order some HDMI cables from BJC so I’ll order a couple of Cat 6 cables at the same time and give it a go.

Thanks for the tip.

It is interesting, as Ethernet cables are based on structured wiring telephone cables…

Peder, a good idea to stop digging when you’re in a hole.
The cable in question was an RJ11 to RJ11, its a telephone cable, you even have them in Sweden. OK maybe not everyone knows what RJ11 is, but people around this forum do.

As for this forums posts about cables, we all have different opinions towards this subject. As an electrical engineer I find them ‘amusing’ & I prefer to not get involved other than share experiences & advice as & when. I really have no time for the never ending threads that go nowhere. If people want to post things about cables that you personally don’t like, good for them, its a free forum. But you do set yourself up for it.

Emojis are - well lets just say its not something I’m a fan of. OK for twittersphere junkies, but not for an adult forum (IMO)

2 Likes

Good point Simon, in fact I do remember (many years ago) specifying the data system for a local council dole office with ‘telephone like’ cables, rather than the bulky co-ax ethernet we used to spec. I don’t recall whether it has a Category at all perhaps we referred to it by the TIA/EIA number?

Is Category 8 actually ratified?

Perhaps its a bit unnecessary for the average home right now but it sounds like a nice idea.

1 Like

Hi, voice grade twisted pair is Cat 3 cable, and is suitable for reliable data comms as well upto 10 Mbps (streaming 192/24 WAV for example), but is obsoleted by Cat5e for data.

Yes Cat 8 actually Cat 8.1 and Cat 8.2 has been ratified and I understand specifically for data centre use with short runs, and is not suitable for general infrastructure use.

1 Like

I have fiber to the router, 300 Mbs internet service. I mostly upgraded because I work from my home office three days and week and rely on a VPN connection to my client site. For that it was a nice improvement. However, I do not have a ethernet connection between the first floor (where the router is) and the second floor (where my home office and listening rooms are). I use Mesh Wifi to link the two. That means after Qobuz streams enter my LAN from the fiber they travel over Wifi before they get to my NUC running Roon. Performance and SQ have been quite excellent and trouble free.

1 Like

I work interchangeably with copper and fibre professionally upto 10gbps and there is no difference at all, other than I can usually do longer distances with fibre… if there was any difference between copper and fibre less than 100 metres that would likely constitute as an error and cause alarms and possibly trigger resilience convergence due to transmission errors and lost data.
Fibre can be beneficial in high capacity links in data centres or trunks where one needs security aggregation tap points… with fibre I can more easily passively insert prisms taps in the path.
Fibre can be more temperamental over very short distances and special care is often required. I also tend to have slightly more reliability issues with fibre SFPs than with twisted pair… but once setup and bedded in, then they are pretty equivalent.

We shouldn’t get too carried away and/or confused with fibre broadband connections using PON and GPON architectures , as these are quite different and are relatively lower performance and relatively compromised links that are contended (shared) … but clearly for small business and consumers can provide a significant performance improvement over alternatives cost effectively.

1 Like

I tried one of those off t’Bay too, and it gave me bass boom, so I sent it back.

1 Like

Wow, I didn’t know, I recal it took em ages to recognise stuff beyond cat 5.

Cheers Simon, all interesting stuff

1 Like

I tried. It was a close call…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.