CB 42/110 - HiCap Upgrade

You don’t need a hydra, just wire the two into a an MK safety plug.

1 Like

Thanks but it’s already bought and paid for. None of my CB boxes came with a proper Naim lead and I want to keep the sound as authentic as possible. I could have picked up a couple on eBay and paired them I guess but never mind.

Fair enough. I have a three headed Hydra for my NDX2, SN3 and NAT02. The two Rega boxes are wired into a single plug, which gave me the idea for your 110 and HC. The way I have mine means that the five boxes can run off the double socket of the dedicated mains, in as neat a way as possible.

2 Likes

Can anyone give me a pointer on connecting these up? (42/110/HiCap) Many thanks

4-pin to 4-pin SNAIC from NAC 42 to HI-CAP DIN socket 3

4-pin to 4-pin SNAIC from HI-CAP DIN socket 2 to NAP 110

Just not sure which 4-pin you use on the NAC42 since there appears to be two (the two on the far right)

2 Likes

SNAIC 4 - 42 to HC

SNAIC4 - HC to 110

As usual… surely…? :confused:

Ignore the right hand one. There will be nothing connected to it. (Was for the 42XO… But the location was later used for the 5 pin 42-5 connection)

2 Likes

Thanks wasn’t sure which sockets.

Looks like I need another 4-pin cable as I’ve got a 4 and a 5 :weary:

1 Like

You could breed from what you have… :roll_eyes:

Or… Plan B - search out a 42-5, then you would have the right cables…

And… for Plan A to work, you need the Single Rail HCap output working. But I think you checked that…

Yes the single rail is confirmed intact. Oh well I’ll just have to wait till I get another 4 pin. What an anticlimax :joy:

Am sure one could be found, by searching on line… :thinking:

All my recent SNAIC’s have slithered in that way… :snake:

Yeah I’ll have a little look. With the cost of service plus cable it’s turned into quite a costly upgrade but oh well there’s worse ways to spend money I guess. And it’s 100% mint, even the Sound Advice sticker looks brand new.

You can still use the amp - just without the HI-CAP.

1 Like

Yes I’ve had the 42/110 for a while now. The HiCap is new (to me).

They last quite well… I think I have 3 of them…? On my 250, one HiCap - and my LP12… :roll_eyes:

My ‘den’ have cost between £40 and £60, pre-loved…

1 Like

The black SNAICs are a worthwhile upgrade over the earlier grey ones. You can use the locking collar DIN plugs with the latching DIN sockets. You just need to wind the collars all the way back. Note though that they won’t lock or latch so be careful that you don’t accidentally unplug them when powered up.

1 Like

Thanks yes I’ll only settle for a genuine black Naim SNAIC. I’ve come this far so may as well finish the job…

2 Likes

Wouldn’t the HI-CAP have shipped with a thick grey SNAIC between '84 and '85?

And based on several used purchases, I think the 42/110 came with the thin grey version - is that even called a SNAIC?

1 Like

Yes, but better to use a black one these days as they sound better.

1 Like