CB 42/110 - HiCap Upgrade

Yes, thats not a SNAIC…

1 Like

What’s it usually called then?

I think it’s a SNAIC4.

Its just a DIN4 to DIN4 Naim interconnect. Its NOT a SNAIC, of any breed…

From the FAQs.

“SNAICs carry audio signals and can also carry 24v DC power. The SNAIC 4 is included with most unregulated Naim power amplifiers. A SNAIC 5 is included with the Flatcap and Hicap power supplies.”

https://community.naimaudio.com/t/how-to-identify-snaics-and-interconnects/74/3

The DIN4 to DIN4 lead predated the SNAIC’s, as a lead which also carried power.
Its ‘BS’ - Before SNAIC’s… :roll_eyes:

The SNAIC4 became the standard in-the-box lead, for Power Amps, thereafter.
‘AS’ - After SNAIC’s… :snake:

The DIN5 to DIN5 lead is the Grey or Lavender Interconnect - not a SNAIC… :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Or a NAIC :slight_smile:

They only have pins spread across half of the connector don’t they?

What’s do you call the 5-pin to 5-pin interconnect with pins spread out all the way around (for pre-amp/power amp)? Most folks call this a 5-pin SNAIC don’t they, or SNAIC 5?

To complicate matters, I’ve also got a 5-pin to 5-pin grey interconnect that uses the thin cable same as the original 4-pin to 4-pin.

If it’s thin and grey and either a DIN5 (240) or DIN4 then it’s likely either pre-SNAIC, or something non-Naim. The SNAIC was a big upgrade and I would imagine that most of the pre-SNAICs have been binned by now.

2 Likes

As I recall, the (Grey) SNAIC was introduced with the HiCap. No…?

Yes, around the same time.

1 Like

HiCap cabled in and it’s a very noticeable improvement. All the usual things; more heft, bass goes deeper but remains tight, better separation, bigger soundstage, clearer sound and more detail. Very happy with this upgrade :blush:

2 Likes

As Expected… :thinking:

I did wonder as it’s only using the single rail but it’s surpassed my expectation.

2 Likes

A few hours listening now and in a nutshell I would say the sound is a lot more real; vocalists in particular are very life like. The SCM11 speakers are a big factor too imo, really letting the system shine.

1 Like

But - the HiCap’s single rail is significantly ‘bigger’, than that of the SNAPS (AFAIK…). So I would expect the improvement to be at least as much as adding a SNAPS (to a 42/110) - which when I did it (many years ago…) was certainly worth while… :slightly_smiling_face:

In my case, the SNAPS was the ‘Gateway Drug’ to a 250… :thinking:

2 Likes

No more amp upgrades on this system, these boxes are keepers! It has made me wonder about a DAC upgrade for the Bluesound. I don’t think the amp and speakers would embarrass themselves with a better source, much as I enjoy the Bluesounds own DAC.

1 Like

Really…? You have the HiCap… so 42-5, 32-5, 62 or 72… :laughing:

Now now!

1 Like

Maybe Darran can do a .5 upgrade to make a 42.5 from your 42??

The German Naim distributor was unable to upgrade my 42 to a 42.5. Still not to worry the recently serviced (ok nearly a year already how time flies…) 42N and 110 sound really good with a decent source even driving some lowly wharfedale diamond 220s