CD 3.5 repair

Mark, the magnetic part of the spindle and the three metal points on the clamp are not what hold the disc, it’s the little rubber loops that do that. They are designed to hold the disc just enough without exerting any more pressure than that which is required to hold the disc in place, as this gives the best performance.

1 Like

OK, I see - thanks. So what’s the job of the magnets then - to align the clamp correctly with the spindle?

The magnet attaches the clamp to the spindle.

Hi everyone,
I also have a CD 3.5 with flatcap (late 1990s) and also use the tape x (solution). One can use masking type tape, but I’ve found Scotch Magic-Tape to work just as well. I have thousands of CDs and have used this technique on around a hundred. It works every time.

The tape solution that Radish uses also sounds promising. I’ll have to give it a try.

Best regards from a forum newbie
McHenryDave

2 Likes

Yes, I’m sure other tapes work well too. The only reason I use masking tape is it’s what the dealer who gave me the tip said to use. Given that some other tapes are either a) smoother and/or b) leave a residue when removed, masking seemed a wholly sensible choice to me.

Magic tape is the translucent one, right? I suppose that would be greatly preferable to maskers in the aesthetic stakes!

Mark

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.