Cd boards

OK - Correction - !! Checking from a different angle (as I was about to re-case my 72…), I can now see bare (thin) Wire Links right on the main PCB, on all 4 board positions. This makes more sense.

My Phono input links are still there, but are cut through.
My CD input links are there but are intact - not cut through.

Apologies… :blush:

It can be hard to see from vertical shots. Obviously when you can move your eyes over the board it’s easier to see.
I’m fortunate to have 2 72s. Both the same inside with respect to their phono links broken but their cd links intact. But only one pair of MM boards, which suits for my second set up.
My primary set up has no boards and I currently fire my TT into the tuner input via an external phono stage. But after the 2nd 72 has returned from Darran, with the links remade, it will go into the main system, and I can use the RCA inputs. ( Darean will swap out the bnc for rca)

I spotted my stupid error, just as I was going to slot my 72 back together…!!

I had the earlier version 72 many years ago - with I think K Phono boards and 328’s on Phono 2, or was it Aux…? (the 2nd set of BNC’s)

My current CD input version has N boards - and can ‘deputise’ for my 82, if needed/desired… :slightly_smiling_face:

Deputise?

Yes. Replace, or stand in for. As it did when my 82 went oop North to be serviced, a few years back…

Hello again and thank you all for help and clarity, it seems easy enough for service tech to reinstate links if required, so I aren’t put off by pre cd units any longer it’s just the units overall pre service condition that’s important as I intend to live with the system hopefully for quite a while, thanks again Neil.

Oh and luckily I live oop north so service isn’t a problem so I can deliver and discuss options, regards.

1 Like

I do not have any data, but I would guess the ‘Version 1’ 72’s might sell for a bit less that the V2, being older or less desirable…? Don’t know. But worth checking - if you really don’t mind which you get and you want to perhaps save a bit… My 72 (built 1995) cost about £285 in 2009. Probably more than that now… :blush:

The view seems to be that the Pre Amps are less in need of servicing than Power Amps or Power Supplies. Naim’s advice is still 8 to 10 years, though. Any 72 is thus likely due for a service, if in doubt.

Hello, it seems you are quite correct, I appear to have missed the boat regarding bargains some of the 72s are near double what you paid in 2009, I obviously would prefer a late not messed with unit but as I mentioned I’m a tight Yorkshire man and have been holding out for a good condition bargain, perhaps I’ll just have to bite the bullet and when I see a good unit go flat out for it, I intend to get everything serviced as soon or shortly after as it’s all together and up and running, regards Neil.

Hello again, been giving your post some thought regarding service intervals, do you think the pre amps require or have a longer life before requiring service because they don’t have the high current and heat that’s associated with power amplifiers, I fully acknowledge that components deteriorate with age but perhaps the operating conditions within the power amp or supply have something to do with the benefits of earlier service, regards Neil.

Yes, I believe I have seen people saying they are around £400 now. As you say… that older Boat has sailed… You will likely needed to persist and wait, to get a good unit at a good price. Remember to also consider the cost of servicing. I do not have a cost for a 72 - mine is still TDD. But most units cost around £200 - my 82 was £219, for instance.

My guess on servicing the Pre’s is that they lack ‘big’ Electrolytic Capacitors, so are maybe less susceptible to ageing & deterioration. Just my guess. @NeilS or @Darran would be best qualified to comment, on this.

Hello, yes whatever the reason regarding service interval I do intend to get all units serviced together unless of course they have been recently done, the distinct lack of 72s has actually made me look at the 62or even the 102 the latter which for some reason does not seem to commend the same price as the often cited more musical 72, I’m only using cd as the source so to get the ball rolling and my foot so to speak in the door I might consider either of the other units. Regards Neil.

Personally… I didn’t like the 102. So if I were you, if you are struggling for 72’s, try looking for 62’s - or even 42’s or 32’s. Or… just get an 82 and be done with it…!!

The servicing priority should I believe, be Power Amps first, followed by PS’s.

If you are looking for a comparable ‘quality’ to the 72 but can’t find one, then only the 32/32.5 is going to compare.

I paid over £420 for each of my 72s.
But, they were near mint, original boxes, mains leads and manual. One was missing its link plug though.
Both were totally untouched. But have or will be serviced. Cost around £200. So factor that in. So yes, £600 ish for the above. The days of bargains are gone. I expect there are cheaper ones to be had, but I didn’t want cheap. Box, manual etc is all part of the experience. And suggests a caring owner.
Perhaps a 32.5 may substitute?
And then of course you will be compelled to add an olive HC! And they are not easy to come by either.

Hello, well perhaps patience is a virtue, how you managed to find two 72s in that condition and I just can’t find one, I’m quite prepared to pay that figure for one in the condition you describe but I’ve been looking for several weeks now and as to date have not found one, ah well just hope that saying good things come to who waits is true. Regards Neil.

As Ian says above, keep looking for a 72. They are a bit special. If you have no luck, then a 62 or 82 (the latter is more expensive but has remote control if you would like - I personally don’t need it) will be excellent too.

IMO the 102 is not as good as these.

1 Like

Hello , I am bidding on a cdx and put an offer in on a 62 with cd input, so fingers crossed, the 180 I was after had issues so that’s also back in the mix, considered the 140 but my memory of my bygone system was the 180 was far better, especially with the addition of a hi cap which will hopefully be added in the future when funds allow, regards and thank you. Neil.

1 Like

I use a 180 with my 72 (with HiCap) and it’s great. But don’t write off the 140 - it’s a bl@@dy good amp too :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi I agree the 140 is a good amp but I recall the 180 to be far better, as I’m starting afresh I might as well get what i reasonably would like to keep, once it’s all together and serviced I intend to just enjoy the music, actually another thing to throw in the mix how often do the cdx need service and worst case is the laser still available, we are talking about units a few years old, regards.

1 Like