CD collection has to go

IMG_0466

3 Likes

f_z,
I don’t have an answer for this. I respect your taste and your choices but it goes against all I have come to still find pleasant and joyous in reproducing music at home.
If I could think that we are a body and a soul, then I could think of myself as a CD - once the jewel case has gone my soul’s file will migrate to some cosmic storage unit.
But I am definitely an LP.
Best, M

Interesting consideration! I didn’t think I could have be happy being a CD, nor an LP, nor indeed a music file. I would feel constrained and imprisoned. I would be the music itself: invisible but there doing my thing.

How very Human League of you.

1 Like

What a great nonsense thread this has turned into after resolving Dave’s original question. Love it!

Peter

2 Likes

Really I thought it’s been an interesting conversation about why some people choose to get rid of their CDs and others want to keep them.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I get it, I’ll google Human League…

It might not translate but there’s a famous song about being treated like a record.

Most of my listening is done via my office system, listening to Spotify.

My (very modest) Naim system was in the attic for several years along with several hundred CD’s. About 6 months ago I retrieved my system and set it up. I also brought down one large box of CDs. I gave about 50 CDs away to my brother in law, but I’ve really been enjoying listening to some of the others a spin after all this time. I definitely won’t be getting rid!

Interesting to read the mixed opinions here though. About 15 years ago my bother in law got rid of the majority of his CD collection, but now he is building it back up again.

I used to have a large music DVD collection, but I have got rid of almost all of them.

i had a friend who knew a woman who had the house full of records. she would buy
a new record and just play it once. when you have thousands of records that is
what happens not much time to listen to them over again.

There should be a point where you say enough is enough, I’ll buy no more and just listen to what I have.

Would someone please let me know when that is please.

2 Likes

When you die.

2 Likes

Other than the very occasional wrong expectation, I don’t buy music unless good enough to want to play and enjoy on multiple occasions - otherwise to me there’s no point, just a waste of money and storage soace.

1 Like

I agree i only buy CDS i really want. for example i do not like all the Stones CDS I
only buy the ones i like. same with Elvis i only like the 50s tracks.

problem is with jazz i cannot stop buying. especially when they are a bargain on
Ebay i have just bought a cd of Bunk Johnson i also love vintage jazz. it was £3 inc
post mint condition. it sells for £17 on amazon. how can i stop buying.
sometimes it is Christmas everyday.

3 Likes

I hope to take my turntable with me. when Iam not around.

I still remember the exact point in time when the step from mp3 to what would become things like the ND555 or the Linn Klimax took place. When I read the review of the SlimDevices Transporter I had to re-read it a few times still not catching what it was, what it did. :thinking:

Now every audiophile or so is sure to see where and when industry led us all to believe that CD was ‘perfect sound forever’, and how it was, apparently, not true. But very few have developed experience and wisdom enough to see that it’s happening again with digital files and streamers.

I still have to hear a streamer sound more musical or better or more convincing than a good CDP - not to mention a great turntable. I wonder what I’ll read here, if I’ll be still alive, when CD will triumphantly resurrect and auction sites will be full of unsold streamers. Oops, I have already seen a number of NDXs here and there.

2 Likes

Wow. This brings back my memory of early SlimDevice Squeezebox.
download

This gotta be like 20 years ago now I tried to use this. This was a long before aftermarket audiophile grade USB cables. It was okey and actually very listenable except for a low res mp3 which gave me a headache in a long listening.

One night tho I lost the internet connection. All of a sudden I had no access to my stored music.

Then I realised CDs and Records are going to be around a lot longer than I thought…

1 Like

One significant difference between streaming and CD is there was no hype of “perfect sound forever” - even though the potential for that may be greater than with CD. As for streaming vs vinyl, my experience is the opposite of yours (that is streaming from my own store of music files).

Because it began with iPods and mp3…

1 Like