CD collection has to go

Number One in the charts on the day I was born, if I remember correctly.

No idea whether I should be proud of that or not. I suppose it could be worse - if I’d been born a few months later, it would have been G**y Gl****r!

Mark

1 Like

We’re talking, many, many years ago, before all the truth came out, went with a mate to see the Gary Glitter Gangshow Christmas Show.

It was packed, mainly with Blue Rinse OAPs, shouting, “Leader” and raising their right hands.

Very strange evening.

DG…

Sounds like many rock gigs today! Only now it’s Men With Little Hair :laughing:

2 Likes

Are you sure it wasn’t a Nazi rally?

1 Like

I went to school with his niece. She was in my class for 6 years. This was before all his shenanigans came out but I remember even back then, she refused to talk about her uncle.

problem is i seem to play the same cds all the time. and many i have not played for
years. now i shall write down what i have played. i used to do this so i will start again.
some people have thousands of records that only get played once. shame to buy
a cd or record to only play once.

4 Likes

If CDs couldn’t be copied nobody would have this issue. I don’t remember having ever read or heard of someone wondering what to do with 1000+ LPs. Space for them was always found - with pride and joy. Truth is, nobody loves CDs because they are not ‘things’ enough. Even those with integrated cardboard sleeves.
The problem is not the CDs - problem is that they are a container and a content, which is not the case with LPs. And the mere container is soon of no interest, as AndyP’s son has accidentally suggested…

1 Like

Hi @Brian1 ,
Although my collection is relatively small compared to some, i also used to forget about some real gems.

Roon solves that problem for me these days enabling me many filtering options including being able to select those CDs in my collection vs. Those saved to my collection from a streaming service, format (ie. CD, FLAC etc) as well as when last played.

Not for everyone i know, but does the business for me.

1 Like

I do this with my LP’s, initially this was to log the hours the cartridge had been used for now it is a way of making me think about my listening choices.

Everyone will have favourites and there’s nothing wrong in that, but you’re right to have music on the shelf and never play it almost seems a crime.

I know a lot of people who recorded their LPs and then got rid of them.

I rip all my vinyl to NAS too for easy access anywhere in the house.

Just wondering, has anyone here ever had a government agent knock on their door asking to see if you have all your CDs stored in the loft for the music you have on your NAS…?

Just keep it to yourself and you’re good. :sweat_smile:

I’ve never owned a TV license in the 18 years I’ve lived in the UK. I don’t watch live tv and don’t have a tv set. I do get a letter every year or so reminding me that if I watch tv that I need to pay and that they will come and check… 18 years, have never had anyone check.

I sold my LPs after ripping originally to make CD copies (all 500+ individually via eBay) - at that point it simply hadn’t occurred to me about legality. Later ripping CDs I was aware, so they (but not CD copies of LPs!) are stashed in a cardboard box somewhere.

IIRC it may be a legal requirement to have a licence if you watch catch-up TV on a computer or tablet screen, nothing to do with physical “television set”, though that would need checking to be sure. However, I’m not sure how they detect TV use these days - once upon a time I think it was picking up something radiated by the CRT - maybe the flyback whine. Maybe they just sit outside housesand/or use drones looking directly for screens in use or the flicker on curtains, to then knock on door and check… Thelicence of course pays for all the letters and “detector vans”…

1 Like

Before DRM and tales of Universal Music ruining someone’s life who backed up their own collection to their private cloud we all lived in more innocent times.

I mean, how many courtships started with the mix tape? :laughing:

I challenge anyone to claim they have never done any of that. The twin tape deck was basically of the same status as a Core. Using it for what you will obviously use it for is not legal, but everyone did it.

1 Like

I admit it… I’m a saddo.

I’ve never made a mix tape or given one to anyone😟

2 Likes

Yes, I do comply with the rules. Don’t have BBC iPlayer or any of the others. When I do find a BBC program that I do want to watch, I buy it from Amazon Prime.

The only time it was a problem is if I wanted to watch live sport events. I use to catch the occasional tennis match when it was available on Prime. Which was against the rules. But now it’s an added extra, so I don’t bother. Just go to my tennis club if I want to catch a match (on their big screen)

I was completely unaware of this phenomenon until reading about it on this forum! The only mix tapes I ever made were for personal use for music listening in the car or otherwise away from home.

:flushed:

2 Likes

I remember saving all my pocket money and buying (what I think was the first in the neighbourhood) CD-R for my PC. So I could make mixed CDs.

Use to make them for friends, and see their faces when they realised it was a home made compilation CD.

Those were fun years… :wink:

You’ve not really bootlegged unless you’ve pushed a radio-cassette player up against the TV speaker to record a song off Top Of The Pops. :joy:

8 Likes