CD collection has to go

I’m with you Pete. I mostly stream but a bought a record store CD rack and stuck it my office.

Even though they are all ripped, once in a blue moon I’ll spin a CD instead. Maybe thrice a year. I played CDs all today in the office in fact while I worked. Just because I wanted to.

@Dave I think you might have found a home for those CDs - package up the 3,000 silver discs and ship them to Pete in Australia.

1 Like

I think they add old school charm to my studio/music room, they share space with my art books. So much so that I’m having new ones built in our new place.

They have to be in their jewel cases. :grin:

2 Likes

not at the charity shop i work at, always on look out for good cd collections, especially rock, as these cd’s still sell well, at £1 a disc easy/cheap way to build collections.
Charge more for some acts, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin etc and they go straight away.
Only issue is we also get loads of cd’s that will never sell-mostly pop and from reality shows. Sadly classical is also a poor seller.
DVD’s different- we gets loads of donations but cannot sell them other than box sets which do.
Stephen

Interesting as you go to dealers and they’ll say no we don’t need another CD of Dark Side of the Moon.

Why not give the details of your charity shop to @Dave and he can deliver the 3,000 CDs to you - case solved well done.

I wonder if some of the CS’s send-on/sell-on CDs to the likes of MM (?), as the bins I’ve looked in of late have only been full of secondary/tertiary items, and where ‘something good’ is found, the CD has had scratches and/or paw prints embedded in to it.

1 Like

Stored on a suitable rack I think they look good, save buying pictures for the wall and hardly impinge on useable floor space. Ripped & saved for me too.

1 Like

I once boxed them up and sold my storage units, but I missed them.
I re-brought the storage units back at full price 2 years later.

2 Likes

The things we do :grinning:

1 Like

In the unlikely event of being caught, this would count for nothing. The record companies want their pound of flesh, and if you give the CDs away you are giving away the right to play that music. The act of copying the CDs in the first place is not permitted under UK law, so you have committed an offence by ripping them even if you keep them.

My local charity shop has a guy who comes round to value the vinyl for them - probably used to be antiques but now vinyl is more lucrative if they find that one rarity.

Indeed, though the chance of prosecution then I suspect is reduced, while I would expect any penalty given in court to be only a token one provided you have not passed or sold a copy to someone else. I wonder if there have ever been any prosecutions with this scenario?

7 Likes

This is simple, several boxes in the loft, or garage, or shed, surely that’s possible. That way you’re legally compliant, and everyone’s happy :grinning:

It doesn’t matter if you still have a stash of CDs in the loft. Ripping them is illegal.

Good grief, hope the old plod has enough storage space for all the Cores/External hard drives they’ll be confiscating as evidence…!

1 Like

Bit of a blanket statement. It varies massively country to country.

1 Like

It might just be me going to the wrong Charity shops, but I’ve never found a decent CD (IMHO) in any charity shop.

It’s not a blanket statement at all. It’s a statement of fact regarding the situation in the UK, which is what we were discussing in this thread.

3 Likes