CD Player for Naim 500 system

I’ve just moved over from a CDP555 to a Core for storage and have finally ripped my CD collection. I have to say that I found it pretty easy to edit the dozen or so CD’s that didn’t have any artwork or Album info. A few click on my iPad and it was all done and I’m not particularly tech savvy! However, I am impressed with the resolution from a Corei

5 Likes

I use a Chord Music Ethernet cable. It’s the best I’ve heard, as it should be for the price. I only had a few CDs out of several thousand that needed editing. The databases are pretty good, but not perfect. Making changes was not that hard.

1 Like

Ripping all your cd’s can be painful, but worth it in the end i find. As you can now just sit back and play music, also stream them files to lots of other devices.
But i do get why people still like to just load that cd and hit play, its a different experience to vinyl, as it sounds more different, but physical involvement is obviously sometimes nicer tuan just touching a screen.

You could even have both very easily, and a good way to do it would be to get say a melco, and then get a disc drive. You can then use the disc drive to also play cd’s through the melco, and then to your dac, plus use the disc drive to rip your cd’s.
Something like a melco N100 and D100, this would be a very nice set up, with a fantastic disc drive transport.

As for the old dac debate, well we all like different things, thats for sure.
All the top dac’s will all be great, each will have have its own sound, some will give you this, others will give you that. But some will give you both if you are lucky, and thats why some dacs are just that bit better, and are known for being the absolute best you can get right now.

Cheers dunc

1 Like

Use an Innuos server with your ND555. CD rips are easy and intuitive and the Innuos sense app is brilliant.

I don’t think they make those - it’s only “streaming cables” from Chord.

:thinking:

4 Likes

They look like Ethernet cables, but they aren’t Ethernet cables.

You won’t find the Ethernet word or category ratings on the Chord website/literature as they don’t actually conform to the standard.

To be fair , they don’t really need to conform to Ethernet or any other standard, as with any audiophile ‘streaming’ cable - a term which was adopted by some brands after it was pointed out to them that Ethernet was a defined standard and that if they wanted to use it they would have to conform and gain certification.
Some of these cables could never be certified as they use, for example, coaxial construction instead if the traditional twisted pair of Ethernet. Clearly they still work despite this.

3 Likes

Maybe not conforming themselves to the standard make them sounding ( indirectly) much better….

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

@Fallstaff Continuing the discussion from CD Player for Naim 500 system:

What decision did you come to regarding the CD player? I have tried the Naim Unity Star and ended up with Nova + transport. Transport was an Audiolab 6000 but have now upgraded this to 9000 with Chord Epic and its is as good as any Hi-res stream I have heard. I, like you love the physical aspect of playing a CD. Fully recommended.

8 Likes

I have Marantz SA10 and it is superb but recently bought a Cyrus CDT secondhand for £300. I know Cyrus CD players can be a touch flaky but, when it plays ball which is 99% of the time, with my NCS222, NAP250 it sounds excellent and a stage up on my old CD5XS on digital output to the same hardware. Maybe a new CDT would be the way to go or even a CDT XR.

1 Like

As a CD user, I’d never consider ripping my entire cd collection, nor do I have much interest in streaming or anything computer involved in music replay.

I’ve owned many earlier Naim CD players and they were great performers.
I went to Rega later on, they are a bit different but very satisfying and fully supported (important).

Shortly I had a Moon CD player which was insane solid build, a guy purchased a Moon CD-transport and explain how important this part of replay chain is.
My experience as well.

Hegel have released a new CD player recently, this is good news the trend continue.
Who knows, maybe a CD revival will show up next decade as it happened for vinyl back then.

9 Likes

Marty, please accept my apologies for late reply.

Year ago I was traumatized by electric problem that destroyed my beloved CDS3 and it’s companion 555 PS DR reducing me to debate how if all to go forward. Today is Thursday, but on Monday my journey ended with instillation of ND 555 and two 555 PS DR. I already have NAP 500 DR and NAC 552 DR and as they say the full loom, or is it bloom?

It may be hard for many living in Naim Land to imagine that I never auditioned ND 555 and only heard snippets once. In the past I added & altered my system by listening, but probably more importantly considering the comments on the Forum. Each time Forum consensus was more convincing than anyone in a shop and living with musicality of Naim gear as costly as it is has been right for me again and again.

Although good after setup, I could swear that every several hours it sounds increasingly full, rich, musically satisfying and beautiful. So I’m hopeful that there maybe more to come.

On another side I hated Uniti Core and it’s medieval software. I bought it & QNAP few years ago in anticipation of eventually acquiring streamer. I hated it so much that I walked away and almost gave or threw it away. Only when I decided to go for ND 555 did I tip toe back into ripping. I’m not sure if I changed or software did, but it was “better.” I added Roon Nucleus which seemed to rescue rips that came out naked. Though Roon is best I have found, they need to sell their soul for Google search engine. My remaining quest is to figure out Ethernet wire game at Naim? No Naim house product, no recommendations? Can’t be Naim isn’t thinking about this.

My new setup sounds so good I’m not sure I’ll seek out another CD player, unless Naim came back into game where they offered CD transport that worked with ND 555.

3 Likes

I have the same set up as you and have very good results using a second hand Samsung dvd player digital out to the 5 cubed

Anyone with Metronome Le Player 4 ?

There are many threads on this.

There is no correct answer because it depends on your taste, your system, your electrical environment.

The only way to tell is to try some cheap and less cheap cables in your system from brands like BJC, Chord, Ghent, AQ, et al.

I just done the same; and it sounds fantastic.

2 Likes