CD Player recommendations

O dear, o dear, you’re not supposed to say so on this forum!

I found the pairing of BW and Naim working well if sufficient space around the loudspeakers.

A fellow SuperNait 1 user.

4 Likes

What actually explains what I sometimes notice here, that there is a certain opinion against the combination of B&W and Naim?
…but maybe that’s more for its own topic.

(I am also a very happy B&W and Naim listener myself…)

4 Likes

I have never owned B&W loudspeakers, but they certainly used to have the reputation of being very difficult to ‘drive’, even with Naim amps.

I have no idea whether that reputation was justified, or whether it still pertains today.

1 Like

In terms of impedance curves, yes it does, as has been pointed out in many a discussion on here.

As I have also pointed out, my 200 seems quite happy - insofar as it has never cut out or got hot - driving my 804D2s (and, before that, 804Ss), regularly to quite high volumes. From that, I infer that Naim amps are quite capable of driving difficult loads!

Mark

1 Like

Darn, I want some B&Ws now…

Erm… yes. And from the 250 upward, even more so… :open_mouth:

1 Like

Yeah, you do! Join the club…

Actually a 500 might struggle with low impedance more than a 300 or 250.

Bridged power amps always take a hit on low impedence handling. So if the difficulty is power, then the 500 will do better. But if the difficulty is impedence, a 300 will do better.

1 Like

CDP for Naim - I’m using a second hand Marantz CD6006 with my Naim Uniti Nova connected with a coax cable. It sounds brilliant but aesthetically iffy. I’m wary of Naim CD players having had a Uniti 2 which was always fussy about what CDs it would play and became totally unreliable after the warranty ran out. Although I use Qobuz Most days sitting down for an hour listening to an entire CD is a real albeit rare treat.

Those Meridians are a thing of beauty. Shame they aren’t making a comeback

Rotel make some decent cd players too btw

How come?

have the streamer brother of these the Marantz ND8006 in silver gold i woud say 70 porcent i use cd rest or usb front port flac or mp3 on 320 kbps or Tidal streaming

2 Likes

Because of the power supply sharing and not good enough digital output implementation

Great cd player transport, available in Chester on the bay. Good price as well. :+1:

You have piqued my interest. Unfortunately its like looking for a needle in a haystack!

Try the words Bel and Canto

1 Like

Cheers. Does look interesting. They have a Naim cd555 too but way out of my price range :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.