CD player versus Streamer

Funny how my streaming journey has involved a Cambridge Stream Magic, ND5XS, 272 and now an ND555 and technical problems have been no more prevalent than CDs that refuse to play. Nor have any streamer demos become CD demos because of mystery issues.

I get it, some people struggle with tech, and Naim gear doesn’t like being moved between networks as I found when using a Muso as a portable radio. But ime once it works it works. Hiding behind ‘technical issues’ as a reason to abandon streaming or to stick with CDs seems like a weak argument.

3 Likes

Yeah, but why not simply accept that there’s no right or wrongs here. Whatever floats your boat in other words! ATB Peter
I don’t think we will hear anything from Patrick again, he is just sat havin’ a belly larf…:crazy_face:

1 Like

Upgraded once, it worked, I did question the change in sound on here but then preferred it. I don’t recall ‘praying’ nothing went wrong but then I work on the assumption that it’ll probably be ok, much like Windows updates always work fine for me even if some people report outlier cases which didn’t.

2 Likes

I merely suggested that streaming works fine. Seems to have triggered some people into telling me that can’t be right.

I’ll stick with it. It becomes an opinion on how best to get a bitstream into a DAC. I’m happy with the way streaming does that.

1 Like

Everyone will have their own experience, so it must seem confusing when these contradict each other.
The height of my CD experience was when I had a CDX2/XSP2…but, in terms of SQ and convenience (post ripping 900 CDs), it was not anywhere near as good as the medium level of a streamer ‘from elsewhere’. Since then, streaming has moved on…and so have I. I still prefer vinyl but am aware that others don’t agree. Best to compare and listen for yourself!

1 Like

I, too am trying to find a streamer (local) to beat my CD player, although not my top priority due to recent econimic challenges. Started fiddlimg with file as source sometime in the new century with PCI RME card, then some Apple and settled with the Aurender W20. Cannot beat the CD player. So, reluctantly back to CD player although I do have Roon Rock using the Aurender as a glorified NAS (sounds better than a Naim core with 4TB SSD). I am curious about the ND555 but no will to try out at the moment. So replya source is mostly CD & LP

I wasn’t particularly pointing a finger at you btw., but I just can’t help finding this whole discussion pointless. Maybe we should throw a CD player, a gramophone and a streamer into a boxing ring and see who still stands after a few rounds :thinking: ATB Peter

1 Like

Never had issues with streaming and Naim (272). Local network issues I assume not related to Naim.

1 Like

From my point of view, I have had two Naim CDPs and had transport issues with both. admittedly one was a vintage CDI. So for me, moving all my CD’s onto NAS removes the potential reliability issue. I am still buying physical CD’s and vinyl and some hi-res downloads. Ease of use and having access to 700 plus CD’s via the app is a huge benefit.

3 Likes

No disputing anything here. I was just providing context insofar as a CD player goes. If one wishes to effectively kill two birds with one stone (e.g., own a streamer and CD player), it could be done for much less than a standalone player like the Denon mentioned is all.

I have to agree here with the reliability issues of a streamer, today being a classic example. Generally it works fine, but when it doesn’t it’s a pita, rebooting or figuring out whether it’s internet/intranet issues. Even though I have gone wired and that has reduced the frequency of issues there are still occasions when the damn thing just stops playing for no reason, even when playing from a local source such as a usb stick and that just doesn’t happen with CD.

1 Like

Sorry but that’s just rubbish. I have never in 15 years of using my CDS3 had a CD not play. My 272 stopped working twice just today, about the same as the many UQ2s i’ve owned used to do.

3 Likes

Well lucky you. I’ve had more than a few CDs that refused to play on a CD5si including brand new ones. Not to mention some that skip or get stuck on a loop.

1 Like

I think the idea of having a CD player as a backup source works for me on those intermittent occasions when there is an internet/firmware issue. Nothing’s perfect!

1 Like

Well i’ve owned just about every CD player that Naim have made, and the only one that had issues with playing the odd CD was an ancient CDI that had a dying laser mech. Of the 15 or so other players, not a single issue. To put non playing CDs up there with streamer and network issues is ludicrous.

5 Likes

I don’t really agree… streaming including Naim’s just works. I don’t suffer skipping or scratched discs, or cracked/disintegrating jewel cases…and then there is storage and archiving and maintaining an index system and the physical ugly housing of hundreds, even thousands of CD cases… all those things that just interfere with music. Sure I enjoy the occasional CD play and appreciate its occasional sonic diversity… but I am so pleased I kissed good bye to it as my main source. It was such a faff. Streaming just works, every time when I want and with what I want, … more time to enjoy the recordings rather than faffing about with the format… which to my mind should be irrelevant.

Sure you can over complicate streaming if you want to tweak and make it unreliable by applying pseudo science to your home network etc … just like you can with CD with special felt tips, demagnetisers, Yada Yada… but let’s face it none of that is really necessary

12 Likes

Disagree all you want, i know most people i talk to suffer issues with streaming. Always been the way from day one, still mostly the same now. CD replay is the most basic form of replay. Insert disc, press play. Sugar coat it all you want, streaming is a ball ache.

7 Likes

And then why a 272?

Because i occasionally listen to internet radio for background music and it was a decent pre amp, better than the 202/HC2 i tried, that went nicely with my 250DR for use with my CD player.

1 Like

The ethical dilemma is bigger than the technical one, I have a cheap Yamaha streamer attached to both my systems. The issue I have is the pitiful amount the artist gets paid via this medium.

So I use streaming to narrow down my choices, much like radio and then buy the stuff I like on cd and vinyl.

Streaming gets artists out to the masses but it won’t put food on the table down the line.

So, personally, streaming in isolation feels like stealing to me, personal view and not a judgement.

6 Likes