CD Players

All part of the argument for separate transport & DAC, whether CD ir streaming. An added advantage is only one DAC needed if you use both sources

1 Like

On my next CD player upgrade I would like one that was more versatile and also played SACD and not many transports to choose from

2 Likes

Are you sure about that? Cd players or new streamers use all NOS dac chips from the 90’s. The dac inside is far from being modern. Both used and use now TDA….dac chips ( Texas Instruments).

No progress to report, Ian, as I’m stuck fast in the care home. They haven’t given me a discharge date, and I can’t get away even for a few hours, as they don’t have the staff. Too silly really.

2 Likes

I sense that rescue mission coming…. In films there’d be a lot of noise distracting staff followed by an explosion blowing a hole in the wall of your room!

2 Likes

I’m assuming that a DAC from a recent product is better than a DACC from 2002 .

It’s what I would like to believe, on the other hand I am still cutting out a layer of A/D to D?A .

Though I have to say that my vinyl sounds great thru’ the Nova

best wishes

Ian

1 Like

Far too silly, it is obviously creating great stress on you - and that isn’t healthy

best wishes

Ian

1 Like

My CD555 sounds pretty good to me - not many newer players going to be better…

4 Likes

It’s still the same dac from the 90’s.

1 Like

If there’s a film to be made, may I be in charge of casting the nurses, please?

2 Likes

Do I sense a Benny Hill sketch coming on here?

Ooh, yes, Matron!

1 Like

Screenshot 2019-12-28 at 19.02.51

1 Like

From the old forum:

Oh good, I was hoping it was going to be a Carry On style of rescue. I’ll volunteer to push the trolley and can provide a mountain bike crash helmet and knee pads. :joy:

On a more serious note, I do hope someone sorts this out for you as soon as possible.

2 Likes

Thank you, Graeme, that’s kind of you.

The AD/DA doesn’t seem to make much if any difference if the converters are matched (which may be to do with filter).

1 Like

I stand corrected , I am still very happy with the sound that is produced

1 Like

thanks, I’ve always believed in keeping things simple , hence wanting the direct input to the Nova

1 Like

I’m just pleased that my dCS DAC has just been totally overhauled and updated, with a reconfiguration of the the Ring DAC circuit board and a totally new analogue output stage.