CD Ripper/Music Server Recommendations

Normally when you go up the range it tends to be far more expensive than the one you have, or trading in. So i feel what i suggested is ok.

I almost did the same with my NDS, luckily i tried them before i jumped straight in, as at the time it was a £10k jump.

Ultimately, I think it is always our ears that decide.

I think there is an emotional aspect to that - what feels right. But there is also an analytical dimension that I think is a skill that develops over time as you hear better and better hifi. Its why our personal journeys are so important to the experience. We learn to hear differences.

A quick update for me on Perfect Tunes. I ran the analysis. It took more than 24 hours to run on a network share - I switched off the option to re-use my existing accurate rip reports to simulate what it would be like if they didn’t exist.

The absolutely hilarious part of it is that after all this discussion I have 160 albums out of several thousand that have some kind of ripping error!!! That is largely due to ripping big chunks of the collection pre the accurate rip database being even in place and certainly being well populated! Also a fair degree of my CDs from 20-30 years ago survived quite a pounding in the car and some were also at the mercy of my young kids for a few years so they didn’t rip as well as they might.

I do think this is very funny :grinning:. I am writing these ripping tags to the file and will decide what to do with these errors, if anything! Probably not much as the vast majority are probably on qobuz anyway.

Thought I would share it any way. It does seem like a no brainer if like me you have ripped chunks of your collection to spend £40 and then run an analysis against your collection.

Edit - I may just mark these in some way so they are easily visible in roon and I can use another version of the album to play. I may also dig out a few of the versions that I hate the mastering on qobuz and try to re-rip them. Now at the risk of re-starting the debate. When it comes to error recovery on the disk, I do think I would rather have a D100 to do it than my wife’s £30 bluray player. though I think I would try to find a way of dbpoweramp driving :blush: :blush:

I don’t think it’s a problem in itself. People’s experience is their experience, they hear what they hear and make choices according to that. If someone else tells them that what they hear isn’t real and it can’t happen then that won’t change what they hear so what does it matter?

The problem is when people postulate psychological phenomona in others in order to (wrongly) justify their own beliefs and experiences. As in - a Melco is just a glorified and over-priced computer. It can’t possibly sound any better because my computer plays bit perfect files and produces a bit-perfect output. So if you think it sounds better then you have just convinced yourself of that because you’ve paid a lot for it/read the good reviews/swallowed the manufacturer’s hype or whatever.

I don’t have any problem with someone thinking their computer sounds as good as a Melco. Neither do I think that they are wrong. If it sounds as good to them then it is as good to them regardless of anything else.

But I strongly object to them claiming that my opposite experience is only due to my imagination. NOT because that is an impossibility, but because there are sound technical reasons why it should sound better and because it is no more likely than them thinking that it doesn’t sound better being due to their imagination. So their reasoning doesn’t make sense.

If someone says that their computer sounds just as good as a Melco to them, but that they accept that my Melco sounds better to me then that’s fine. No problem. We can’t both be objectively right, which means one of us is wrong. But there’s no finger pointing here. No suggesting that “actually I’m right and you’re wrong. It can’t sound better (or the same). I know it can’t because of X,Y and Z. So you’re imagining it”.

We do. Just use your ears! Yes I know what you mean and I’m being flippant. But the point is that if it sounds different to you then it is different regardless of what some type of analytical equipment tells us.

Look at it like this. Amp X sounds better than amp Y to you. They are both the same price. A fancy gizmo machine however ‘proves’ that amp Y sounds better. So do you buy the amp that sounds better to you or the one that sounds better to the machine? I know what I would do, but maybe those who put their faith in measurements rather than their own ears would buy the one the machine preferred.

I’ve never been much of a measurements kind of guy. I buy whatever I prefer the sound of. An exception back in the day might have been something like buying a Decca cartridge which might sound better to me but I know will probably ruin my record collection.

2 Likes

What would be interesting is to re-rip one of the cds identified by Perfect Tunes as being erroneous with the £30 cd/blu-ray player using dbpoweramp and assuming the rerip is then in agreement with accurate rip to rerun the Perfect Tunes assessment on that cd to see what it comes up with. You will of course need to select a fairly common cd to ensure it has an entry in accurate rip.

1 Like

I will try that. Will require a trip to the loft and possible a spade to remove 20 years of dust from the cd :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

The quick fix is to use mp3tag to add a VERSION tag with the words Rip Error added. That takes a couple of seconds. The album now displays those words against that version of the cd in roon so I can choose an alternative version to play I ever want to listen.

1 Like

There’s no margin in debating with someone who believes that what their brain hears with their ears is an objective reflection of the actual sound any more than if they insisted that their perception of the taste of a banana is the same as everybody else’s.

Whaaaat - Bananas can/don’t taste different to everyone!!! :joy: :joy: :joy: Sorry couldn’t resist.

Back on topic.

2 Likes

Sorry, I have clearly missed that completely. Where was this claimed? I can’t find it anywhere in this thread, and dob’t recall reading it in any other.

What evidence can you offer to support this?

How do you know what the actual sound is?

How do you know what another person is hearing?

How do you know that what they are hearing doesn’t match what the actual sound is?

1 Like

Just give me a few minutes while I think back over many months of countless threads and I’ll provide you with a reference. Derrrr…

OK.

What real evidence will you get?
Do you expect evidence on everything?
Did you get any evidence on the things you have bought?

I just trust myself, as i do when i eat something, i either like it or not, or think that tastes nicer than what that did,or if i look at something and thing that looks nice, nicer than that one.
If you cannot trust what you hear then you are domed really, and i would certainly go with what i like over any test, measurements or what a manufacturer might say, plus certainly what someone else might also say.

Like what i said you just have to try yourself if you feel you want too, if not then just carry on, as they say.

Cheers dunc

2 Likes

I am at a loss … I thought we are talking about consumer hifi, playing back commercially available recordings?
Such media using current technology is hugely compromised to reality, so what is produced is designed to sound appealing, not reality. Un processed or un doctored audio on our systems tends to sound drab and un interesting such is the degree of compromise, so it’s processed to sound attractive on replay systems…

And then I see huge debate on psychoacoustic consideration on tweaks of replay system noise or eq profiles… it has me scratching my head.

The media should sound appealing to you when you play it back, it’s made that way… its not reality, its typically, though not always, musical content that is designed and sculptured to engage or evoke on a range of playback systems… that is what the artist and production team will want… for it to be liked, appreciated and or consumed.

So set up your system so you enjoy it… best try and stear away from often pseudo technical considerations… as you will probably be pointing the wrong direction anyway. I would focus dynamic reasonably wise band amplifiers and keep RFI as best you can, speakers that match your room, and have low smearing/good timing across the audio bandwidth… and a source that sounds sufficiently capable that lets you hear the differences between production styles… not that difficult… and leave the rest to your recordings, you might find you might stop obsessing … as you notice that music recording and replay is hugely compromised from reality… but doesn’t matter or stop your enjoyment. You are listening to music or drama recordings… not surveillance systems.

If you are really interested in the person/machine relationship in audio, and it is truly fascinating, perhaps join the AES. You will have access to their library of research and analysis papers over several decades that has often steered the recording and playback industry from prominent academic institutions and manufacturers from around the globe. It might put some of the amateur musings from some audiophiles in perspective.

3 Likes

Another major consideration for me. Particularly over debates such as this as to whether a rip can ‘sound’ different is that (assuming we all agree the differences are at best marginal) ones mood has a major factor.
I am as confident as I can be that my hifi has not changed, yet some times I am not in the mood, or it will ‘sound’ off, where as the reality most likely is, I am ‘off’.

To be clear I hear differences in things. Dacs particularly affect replay a lot, as does speakers and amplifiers. Streamers, I won’t lie, I am struggling to hear meaningful differences in replay, assuming into the same dac.

But, I could not with any confidence tell you I hear a difference with a different switch, or different ethernet cable or a rip from a different DVD drive, not within the margins of perhaps its me, or can I really be sure I heard a difference.

Perhaps its me that is mor analytical? Perhaps the better approach is to assume that these tiny little tweaks should be assumed to do nothing and it has to prove you wrong.

One final point, and having looked through the pictures of hifi thread, all this tweakery is well and good, but without suitable room or room treatment, its a pointless waste of time anyway.

5 Likes

Indeed and I think we even discussed this very topic on another thread a couple years back where it was firmly established that one aspect of AccurateRip is that is not a checksum against a file, it is a checksum against a payload. And the distinction there is valid because how two applications pack the same data into a file may differ. Even if the unpacked data is the same again, the processing may differ and with it the noise generated by different processing on the unpack.

Even the RIFF format allows for some variation in the packing around the time codes.

But it all started to get a bit voodoo when some users claimed two actual files with headers stripped off resulting in the same actual file SHA checksum sounded different depending on where they originated from. Which is frankly up there with other nonsense like believing in astral projection and telekinesis.

1 Like

I agree with you both 100%. You’ve missed the point I was tring to make - probably my fault for not being more explicit.

My point is that if someone is going to make an assertion like this:

then they need to be able to support it with evidence in order for it to have any validity in terms of a point of debate. I’m not saying it’s wrong. But if it’s unsupportable with evidence then it is of no value.

Too many statements like this are made during debates. Assumptions and suppositions presented as though they were facts. They may turn out to be facts. That depends on the evidence. If no evidence then they cannot be taken as fact and should not be presented as such.

1 Like

It is true without a doubt that mood affects how we perceive our hi-fi. I have experienced exactly the same. A couple of days ago I put on an XTC track and it just blew me away. Yesterday I was feeling very tired and sleepy. I played the same track and whilst it was very enjoyable it didn’t have the ‘wow’ factor of the day before.

The other thing to consider is that people describe sound in different ways. There are no set definitions. Therefore two people could hear exactly the same sound, perceive it in exactly the same way and have exactly the same opinion of it yet describe it differently. One person may describe it as neutral and another as bass-light.

Back to the thread topic. Orac, I grabbed a couple of cds from the loft. And calibrated the secure ripping features of dbpoweramp. The bluray drive has c2 error detection which is good and cache which is generally worse for error recovery but the software did estimate the cache size. Both cd’s are scratched beyond accurate recovery. With both dbpoweramp and eac. I think the answer to your question will be when the rip passes the accurate rip test on dbpoweramp, it will pass with perfect tunes test as the exact same database is used for both tests. I will find some cd that can prove this though and revert,

Now what is interesting is would the errors actually be audible (hoping not to fall into another bear trap here based on last nights conversation. Please!) and whether that is an issue. As simon said, errors tend to manifest as audible clicks or extra frames of silence not the kind of sound degradation i used to get with a really bad cassette tape years ago.

So lets take my early cd copy of bowie’s Hunky Dory. A favourite album. I have one of the early vinyl presses as well which I love listening to. I also love this digital version more than any other. So knowing it has scratches and ripping errors, if they are not very audible, I think I would still prefer this mastering with a few ripping errors over say the recent box set masterings on qobuz.

I wonder if my 20 year more advanced optical drive would do a better job in error detection, recovery and interpolation to make it fully enjoyable than say the phillips cd drive I used in 2004. The interpolation is at the hardware level I think.

I think this is where I like the features of roon to group all the versions into one and toggle between them easily. And now roon utilises the VERSION tag it is easy to label the files visibly. So I will try ripping again just a few masterings that matter like these bowie cds and the genesis cds where again I hate the compression of the later cds. I suspect in this scenario a d100 would probably do a better job of recovering the errors but it will be interesting to see if the recent bluray drive does a better job than some of the fairly expensive drives I bought years back.

1 Like

Many thanks for your efforts.

I know when I ripped all my cds I had one or two cds that wouldn’t rip accurately. I found that cleaning the cd using a lens type cleaner and cloth facilitated some. Better than the spade to clear off 20 years of dust from the attic. :grinning: :grinning:. I also had a spare drive that I could use, basically I had a drive in my laptop (standard) and another external (blu-ray) drive. One or other usually worked. I also used dbpoweramp reread (secure rip?) type capability. On one occasion I even borrowed a friends copy of the cd (same pressing) to get the rip and kept my cd for licence reasons.

Not suggesting you do all that as it may introduce/reopen discussions about rip paths etc.

2 Likes