CD Ripper/Music Server Recommendations

Yes the secure settings are the re-reads. I actually have a swiss army knife set of software tools available to me as I have done a lot of needledrops in the past! I suspect if the errors are audible and its not easy to fix, discogs or ebay will be my friend! I will however report what happens. Only for a very small % of my cd collection that has issues revealed with accurate rip however. Life is too short to not focus on enjoying music!

2 Likes

In WAV there are two formats - the canonical and the extensible format… the latter allows for clearer headers to describe hidef as well as some other enhancements.

The RIFF format itself is simply a tagged file structure that can be used to exchange multimedia objects in a consistent way. It consists of a format of chunks for objects and lengths descriptors for those objects in an encapsulated hierarchy. It in itself is independent of the WAV file format, other than WAV files adopt the RIFF encoding file descriptor format, so they can be parsed by RIFF reader algorithms.

RIFF was originally a structured file type for storing Windows 3.1 multimedia objets in 1991, and that in itself was derived from Electronic Arts’ IFF format. Now RIFF is used as a container format which many file types or constructs are built on.

The RIFF construct is completely flexible and is used by many file formats or containers - and is not specific to WAV.

3 Likes

Great advice Orac. Photography is my main hobby so I have plenty of lint free cloths and lens cleaning fluids.

I cleaned my copy of Hunky Dory and re-ripped it. This time without errors!

So I ran perfectTunes against the new folder (again disabling the tag to base the analysis on the accurate rip report imbedded in the tags). And the cd was reported as fully accurate this time.

I tried the same trick on another CD and that was too scratched to make a difference. I will listen to that to see if any of the errors are audible; I suspect they will not be. The paradigm here is we are trying to recover a digital download from a dodgy sd or cf card not recording the cd as a digital file. Of the very few CDs that I will re-rip, I will report if I come across anything that has audible issues on playback and what I do to fix them if at all.

So conclusion is you can trust perfectTunes to objectively check your collection and see if it matches the checksums in the rip database.

Edit - once the analysis has run, make sure you click on the ‘i ’ next to the match details’ words. That allows you to save a text file of the analysis. I did that fortunately as when I closed and restarted perfectTunes Accurate Rip it wanted to re-analyse all the CDs. As that took 24 hours it would be a pain! I will copy that analysis as a text file into my music folder at the same level of folder that I analysed. And then analyse the music folder in smaller chunks. I have no interest in for example fixing my 1990s versions of Maria Callas operas. The restoration work done on the versions on qobuz are phenomenal. But my Vertigo version of Dire Straits Moving Pictures is a different ball game.

2 Likes

Ok case 2 - my 80s copy of Revolver. I suspect a 3 year used it as a frisbee at some stage given the scratches :smile:. I setup my Mojo2 DAC and ie900s headphones which is what I use for critical listening when travelling. The rips are riddled with audible clicks and gaps. A mess. I will try ripping a track a few different ways eg. without the c2 error detection on and then in burst mode to see if it is possible to get a decent sounding rip or not. Not holding my breath. In this scenario a better drive would likely help. I could try the drive on another PC that is mostly switched off now.

1 Like

And the answer is burst mode if it fails the accurate rip check in secure mode… Burst mode has no audible clicks or pops. And that makes sense, you are relying on the interpolation capabilities of the drive at a hardware level. Not trying to recover things bit by bit when that job is way too difficult.

Turning off c2 is a disaster as the alternative error correction process takes forever.

So conclusion: if the match to accurate rip fails using secure mode, utilise burst mode to possibly get a better sounding rip than secure mode.

1 Like

Secure mode just disables the drive cache so that all data is passed from disc and nothing is fed from a cached read which obviously you want to avoid when trying to recover a mis read. The reason burst mode can help is that the read rate is much faster and this actually reduces tracking errors for the laser as it passes scratches. The laser can be “led astray” at slower read rates where a scratch can lead it off track. So burst mode is unlikely to ever be as good as non burst mode of a problem free disc but is the solution for scratches on unreadable tracks.

If I get an error free read but no AccurateRip match I absolutely do not redo it in burst mode. I just use that for individual tracks with unrecovered read errors. With rare discs or rare issues, it is more and more common that I end up with “Disc not found in AccurateRip database”. Not getting a match, doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t get a perfect rip.

2 Likes

Thanks Feeling_Zen. I will probably re-rip max 20-30 CDs through this process but will follow this guidance when I get to something not in the database.

Edit - I also re-found the web page on best practices for setting up dbpoweramp secure settings. That has worked for accurately ripping a track from another early bowie cd that was previously incorrect.

Sorry please can I double check my logic here - just for clarity :blush:

1. Rip in secure mode with the optimal settings for my drive
  2. If the track is a match for the accurate rip database then declare victory
  3. If the track is not a match to the database or is not in the database but does comes back as secure then don’t re-rip
  4. If the track is insecure and not a match, then try a re-rip. If that comes back insecure, rip in burst mode.

?

That’s about it. Used spray glass cleaner on discs that won’t rip. The disc doesn’t need to look dirty but it made some discs that I was struggling with perfect.

Blue glass cleaner gives better sounding rips :wink:

2 Likes

I’m surprised there isn’t a version with a special audiophile dispending head with a gold tipped spray that ensures a totally even distribution of the fluid :rofl:

2 Likes

“AudioCost CD Rip Enhancer Liquid” £179.99

Improves clarity, timing and depth. Used with our “Perfect Polishing microfibre cloth” £68.99
:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

There are certain successful products with similar marketing and less efficacy out there! :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Definitely worth 2 or 3 cleans and re-rips in secure mode before bailing out into burst mode. I picked off another track this way on a CD that mattered.

1 Like

Yes definitely worthwhile trying two or three times if one rip is not successful. It might be that the cleaning action fils in the scratches/imperfections so that the subsequent reading process can work. I suppose the question is which cleaner does this best. Is it possible to have a CD skimmed in the same way that you skim a cylinder head or rebore an engine. :joy: :joy:

1 Like

I worked on cleaning vinyl a lot in the last few years - got a lot of help from an x military chemist who has done loads of work on different record cleaning processes and steps. Getting the right fluids, tools and process/sequence could make huge differences! Happy to do that for DSOTM first press but not my old battered CDs :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

But they do sound different from one another.

Accidents can happen of course.

@PJL, in the melco-what-hypothesis-am-i-testing-if-i-demo-it thred you replied to me:

There certainly hd been no explanation here by the time of my last visit, and I have just had a quick look through the posts since and can’t see anything. Perhaps you would be good enough to highlight it for me?

1 Like

To test this discussion requires someone to borrow a melco and rip 2-3 tracks on different cds. We have the means now to validate whether the melco rips are accurate rips as well using perfect tunes. Going to concentrate on my linn ng kdsm for next few weeks. But could get around to it later.

Edit there is a second very good reason to use a d100 - as a cd transport into a dac.

@145, 148.