Cd555

It’s true. Streaming is just so clinical. Physically selecting the CD and putting it into the player with the puck is something very special. I recall many years ago being totally mesmerised by the fact that Naim CD players had manual drawers and used magnetic pucks. It’s actually what drew me in…

2 Likes

I always have to chuckle because the exact same thing was said 35 years ago with vinyl and CDs

2 Likes

Having not had the opportunity to hear a CD555 pre-purchase…I have felt a little apprehensive pre listening to find out if this is going to be all I was hoping for??

Well…just had a listen to a few tracks…and what can I say…it is absolutely magnificent…

…composure, authority, resolution, naturalness…
It’s a truly remarkable beast…

3 Likes

It must be very hard to find such a relatively recent one, from 2016. Generally you find 15 years ones on EBay, sometimes.

Yes, I have been on the lookout for sometime … recent ones are hard to find…

1 Like

There are at least 5 for sale on the that auction site at the moment. A great time to buy if anyone is on the lookout for one. It’s an awesome bit of kit. Mine’s 2007 build but it’s had a service, s/w update & a new mech fitted so it should be good for a few years now.

1 Like

I am not one for being dramatic, it’s not in my personality but I am seriously in awe of just how good this black box is…it’s engineering of the highest standards…

Absolute quality…whatever you throw at it, it just handles it with such ease and authority…

as you say it’s a great time to buy one…

I came from a Rega Isis which is no slouch and was fine into my 252/300. Very smooth, relaxed and detailed but just lacked a bit of drive I had from my CDX2/XPS2. Finally managed to get a 552 and the Isis just didn’t engage so the CD555 was the obvious choice.

I got a very decent price for the Isis and the CD555 came with the PSU so the price to upgrade wasn’t too big at all but the difference In ability was.

I’d read comparisons about both players where the conclusions was there wasn’t much of a difference but my ears in my system said otherwise. The Isis is great for the money but the CD555 is just on a different level.

Congrats on getting yours. :+1:t5:

2 Likes

I compared the Isis and the Cdx2/ xps2 some years ago, on 252/300. It was hard to choose, but found the Cdx2 a bit more involving. However on a same league, as also a Moon 650. But the Moon was a bit clinical.
So I imagine easily how better can be a CD555.

1 Like

You certainly made the right decision, I have never heard a CD player sound this good…as you rightly say…on a different level

1 Like

The cd 555 head unit was a massive step up over the cds3 for me sonically. Much bigger than the xps2 to 555ps upgrade. It was a lot of money but justified it. Definitely a jaw drop moment. I got it ex - dem which made it more palatable.

Drove 250 miles to collect and bring that beast back.

1 Like

It looks like an alien spaceship hovering above all hi-fi setup, looklng to sopras from an angle:)

Enjoy it, you can even say that you own one of the best cd-players ever build, how many topics are there that you can say the same thing? Not many for me:)

It never disappoint SQ wise and if they ask me.that I have to sell one of my sources ND555 or CD555, guess which one I will keep?

1 Like

Congrats - it does take a while to warm up and purely FYI (of course! :grinning:), adding another 555PS makes it better still IMV (as with the streamers too it seems) albeit this elevates the bass output slightly which won’t suit all tastes/rooms.

I think you’ve already worked this out but, if not, the Din/RCA output can be managed via the Display button on the unit. Just hold down and the screen changes to show the O or oo or both (avoid!), these settings obtained by another press of the Display button - obviously O is what you want to see. Cycling out by holding the button down can be tricky on mine, as in doing this, the output sometimes moves - but it’s usually OK.

Folklore has it that it sounds better in display-off mode i.e. just cycle via the Display button.

Given the cost of CD555s in the pre-loved space at this time (generally<£5k for head unit) and knowing they should be serviceable for several years to come (hopefully ‘many’), if you are content to run with CDs then, I think, they are a relative bargain.

2 Likes

Switching the display off definitely gives some benefit - at least it does on my CDS3.

One good thing about this thread is that even slumming it with a ‘lesser’ machine ( :yum:), it has me doing tweaks and adjustments which have been positive so far. The levelling and shimming was an ear-opener. Some good listening coming up today !

1 Like

I paid £6k but that was with a 555PSU and I got £3k for my Isis so it worked out pretty well cost wise for me. I did have it serviced not long after though, traded the PSU in for a new 555DR (worked out cheaper than a service & DR on the original) and added a SL IC which have really helped push the performance along.

I can still remember being a bit awestruck when the dealer removed it from the box for me to inspect. Definitely one of those ‘bloody hell’ moments when you see one in the metal for the first time.

6 Likes

Now that is a question??

It’s fascinating just how those little adjustments can be so critical to performance…

I had considered the CDS3, again I had not heard one but by everything I have read it’s also an outstanding machine

2 Likes

Concur with that, as I unpacked the box I was immediately in awe … as you say a ‘bloody he’ll’ moment

Yes, managed to work out thanks, it can be done via the r-com remote … I have not tried it yet with the display off, I will have to give it a try

Definitely give the ‘display off’ a go - on both the CD player and the preamp.

I also put Superlumina on my CDS3 to replace Hiline - found it a big improvement.

The levelling - Yes, an instant and quite substantial improvement to clarity and musicality.

1 Like