Cd555

They do look nice sitting on top of a naim rack, as the design finishes a full naim rack well.
Looking at one, wouldn’t it be nice if the nd555 looked more like this, rather than the more basic box that it is, as it looks like naim certainly paid more attention to looks than it does now for its top line product.
Anyway enjoy

2 Likes

I have not seen a nd555 close up, I always note from the pictures the screen looks good, just how useful it is to see the album you are listening too I don’t know…

I used to own a CDS3 with 555PS and have heard the 555 many times. The 555 is an amazing engineering feat, built like a tank and with that wonderful cover that slowly rises to reveal the disc within. In all the listens it never engaged me like the CDS3 managed to, for some reason, and I’ve heard others say similar. I’m sure I’m in a minority here. They are both truly wonderful machines and you must be delighted with your CD555, it’s an iconic piece of equipment.

2 Likes

I think my biggest concern for switching to CD555 might be the lifting and handling SHE risk assessment and having to prove that I am ‘SQEP’. :grin:

2 Likes

I have not had the opportunity to hear a CDS3 or a CD555 … according to everything I have read (not hi-fi reviews) but from actual owners they are both extremely capable sources…

But the CD555 has a presence about it…as you describe the wonderful cover that rises like the entrance to a space ship…the build is a master class of engineering…

Once I managed to locate one of the right age I couldn’t resist …I am pleased to say it’s all that I hoped for and more…

2 Likes

I still have painful memories of Doug and I carrying a CD555 head unit and 555PS around one of the hotel suites in the Montreal Hilton trying to get to the bottom of a really weird RFI issue. The RF in the room was so high it actually prevented the CD555 from working. We carried it around plugged into a long extension lead to try to find an area in the room that would allow it to work. Weirdest of all, as soon we crossed the threshold into an adjacent room in the suite, it suddenly sprang to life, but step back again and it would stop. Freaky!

Roy’s advice from Salisbury was that it would probably be best not to spend too much time in the room. It turned out that the hotel itself carried some pretty powerful radio masts on the roof and something with the steel structure had caused this particular room to become like a sort of reverse faraday cage, concentrating really high levels of RFI - high enough to interfere with the CD555’s operation, having been picked up via the Burndy cables acting as aerials.

9 Likes

Really, you couldn’t wish for more than that. While it’s fine pressing an iPad there is something different about a physical thing, something I’ve discovered from getting a turntable after many years without one. If you are going to have a CD player you may as well have one of the very best. Enjoy it.

1 Like

Blimey !!

When I first started reading, I thought you were going to say you dropped it…

2 Likes

They’d have to do some serious repairs on the floor if they had. :grinning:

1 Like

My early years were all about record decks and vinyl… maybe it’s nostalgia but I have always preferred the physical media…

1 Like

The dealer I see from time to time…has one or two younger staff on work experience and to say they are a little clumsy is an understatement…some very expensive equipment has been damaged…

I look forward to your reports after it has fully warmed up. I’d always promised myself a CD555 after seeing and hearing a friends in action. The design an engineering is just awesome. I’m still mesmerised every time I press the play button. I have one or two favourite discs that just seem to play to the strengths of the CD555 and when I play these to friends and family they are just blown away with the musicality and realism.

Oh, I’m still using mine with one DR’d power supply, so have not yet released the full potential.

I wasn’t far off by the end. I had the head unit!

I think the jury is out regarding one or two power supplies?

It will be interesting to see how it develops once bedded in…

How heavy is the head unit?

25kg approx I think

1 Like

26.4 kg to be exact

1 Like

Wow almost 60 lbs, it’s quite a beast. Enjoy it in good health.

1 Like

For me, it would need a lifting hoist to crank it into position. Either that or a hernia !

2 Likes