Cd5si comes last

Did you compare ?
I just provided the facts.
I tried to pass on a tip I liked so try and like or not.
:thinking: :roll_eyes:

Have I offended you in some way?

Not at all mate it just seems to read funny.
No offence meant or taken.
I just thought it was a good find but I’ve been flamed all the way through this by people that won’t even give it a try.
A strange byproduct on this tip I’ve just penny dropped to is that the number of times I’ve read about channel failures on amps and pre amps
This doesn’t happen on the RCA side as as nothing is going through a switched by relays circuit.
Better sound and reliability I thought I was on a winner.
I think I’ll give up on this tip now and let everyone miss out.
Thanks for the opening to explain.
All good you haven’t offended at all. :+1:t2:

I think your doing a good job actually. We often forget that the “Flamers” are the minority and what most people actually want here is a balance of opinions so they can make up their own mind. Which is what is happening here. :innocent:

1 Like

Hi. I have exactly the same set up, will definitely try at the weekend and feedback. Lots of RCA cables to try too

Hi
Doesn’t have to be a super RCA I noticed right away with a pair of those freebie types with plastic plugs.
The slightly louder you go the much more obvious it is.
Good luck.

A CD5Si on a XS 2/HiCap DR would almost constitute as being a mullet and i suspect that a pair of RCA interconnects would more than likely mask that effect, more so than a ‘more revealing’ Din interconnect lead would, in the context of a Naim system.

It’s just a suggestion, but can you try borrowing a different CD player, put it in the same place with the same connections, and see if it sounds better?

2 Likes

Fact is - pair of short Chord RCA interconnects sounds more alive and with air than the DIN does.
My HC2 is not DR.

I do relate to the fact that maybe for low-mid volume RCA is more compatible… maybe with SN3 or higher power amps the DIN shine…

Have to admit that the length of my speakers to the XS2 are shorter than recommended by Naim

1 Like

Are you using NAC A5? It is universally accepted by Naim themselves, many Naim owners, magazine reviewers and myself included that the DIN connection is far superior. Those that prefer a RCA connection are firmly in the minority camp.

Also, i’ve had a CD5Si for around six years, with both a NAIT5Si and a NAIT XS 2 and ‘dull’ is probably about as far away as it gets. I’d kindly suggest that you either have a mains or signal connection issue somewhere or the soldering on your speaker cables want looking at.

As an aside bit of humour; If my current system had more air around it would simply take off…

Hi
SN3 owner here I find the difference like you but maybe even more obvious with the SN3.
I’m glad you found it interesting. :+1:t2:

Have you tried taking the CD player off the top of the amp and putting it directly on a shelf? This is a more important matter than using DIN or RCA plugs. The following is a quote from the manual (I presume the transit bolt has been removed:

'The CD5si should be installed on a dedicated equipment stand intended for the purpose. Do not stand the player directly on top of another item of Naim Audio equipment [emphasis added]. Care should be taken to ensure that the player is level.

A transit screw on the underside of the CD5si case should be removed before use and must be replaced if the unit is to be re- packed and shipped. This transit screw must not be used in any other Naim product. Do not invert the player once the transit screw is removed.’

1 Like

I use original DIN cable that comes with CD

1 Like

It sounds silly… right now I am out of space.
Wife wouldn’t agree to put dedicated stereo shelves.
I do have isolation pads between the amp and CD.

I know that I am upsetting everyone right now but for now this must do.
Working on getting more space…

1 Like

I understand - we all have to make domestic compromises, apart from the lucky few who have dedicated listening rooms. However, it does mean that the sound will be compromised and tweaks will not make a big difference.

You have to work with what you’ve got space for and anyhow separate shelf or not would not account for the difference in connectivity sound quality considering all is in the same place.
CD5SI is certainly not a dull spinner.

Will change this in time… but you must believe me that changing to RCA did make a difference :man_shrugging:

1 Like

If you absolutely have to stack, try putting the amp on the CD player.

Wow… really??

The amp is much heavier than the CD…