Charlie Watts…ill

Wishing Charlie a speedy recovery after an emergency operation….he will now miss the Stones U.S tour, his understudy Steve Jordan will play drums.:crossed_fingers:t4:

7 Likes

Get well soon, Charlie, all the best for a speedy recovery.

2 Likes

As in John Mayer Steve Jordan?

Not sure………apparently been the understudy for years in Stones tours……but likely to be a top notch player in demand by others?

Charlie is one of the oldest of the oldest living rock stars, at 80 years old…

Paul McCartney is only a year or so younger…

Sadly, we are likely to loose some of these… :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Oh no! When I left Uni and moved to London I worked for 6 months in a secondhand clothes shop on the Kings Road. Charlie W was a regular customer, and was particularly interested in any nice old silver topped canes that we’d regularly get in. He was always great fun to chat with and very down to earth. He quickly became my favourite Rolling Stone after that. Get well soon Charlie!

9 Likes

When the headline popped up his passing was my immediate thought, relieved he is on the mend. I guess whatever he had wrong was picked up on the rigorous pre-tour medical for the bands insurance.

Charlie’s Auntie Winnie lived in the adjacent street to me in Kingsbury N London when I was growing up and he went to my school albeit quite a few years before me but my music teacher sent him on the road to a career in music. In their early days of touring the band were always turning up for tea!

Anecdotes as always with the Stones abound but my favourite was when Bill Wyman left to pursue other interests (lock up your granddaughters!) Keith and Sir M said to Charlie “bass is rhythm section go and find us a new player”. Charlie comes back a little while later recommending Darryl Jones. Keith apparently asked Charlie “is he any good?” “Well” says Charlie “he’s played for Miles Davis!”.

Get well soon Charlie.

4 Likes

It seems likely, he has known Keith R for years. Steve Jordan is a great drummer imho. Some great stuff with John Mayer.

1 Like

Yes… he is a phenomenal drummer, actually over skilled for the Stones.

1 Like

Get well soon Charlie.

1 Like

Turning 80 on June 2 2021

Best wishes and speedy recovery, young man.

2 Likes

Great drummer. Also a nice person.

1 Like

I lived in Stanmore also not far from Kingsbury. He was a good friend of Ronnie Scott.

2 Likes

i agree he is a great jazz drummer. he once went to Paris to hear Kenny Clarke

And with EC

1 Like

Excellent.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.