Chick Corea RIP

Succumbed to Cancer on Tuesday. Truly genius.

3 Likes

I am very very sad - another great musician who we have to miss

3 Likes

OMG Truly sad. Thanks, if that’s the right thing to say, @LindsayM

1 Like

Listening to this and feeling glum.

4 Likes

Put this on when I heard - a reminder of a great talent. Last saw him at San Sebastian Kursaal maybe 5 years ago in a duet gig with Stanley Clarke. Massive virtuosity but always with swing.

7 Likes

Listening to Piano Sonata: The Moon from the Trio record as I type this. One of my favorite pieces of music ever. This is surprising news. RIP to one of the greatest of all time.

2 Likes

@Richard.Dane could we merge the 2 threads. Thanks.

The great jazz-fusion musician Chick Corea died today at age 79 from cancer.

5 Likes

I just read the news what a loss

R.I.P. Chick

How terribly sad. I saw him live in Montreux in 2015 with Herbie Hancock - a wonderful (late) birthday present.

I’ll be playing a selection of his work today: Return to Forever and Bitches Brew certainly. Any other suggestions?

Mark

1 Like

I’ve merged the two giving priority to the earlier thread.

Very sad news.

It was “Return to Forever” and “Crystal Silence” that led me to modern jazz. Still a few days ago bought probably the last album of him “Return To Forever: The Mothership Returns”.

3 Likes

So sad rip Chick

1 Like

There are so many and for each tastes, from jazz trio to jazz rock to solo albums, since 1965 approximately.
My two favourites are with Return for ever from the 70’s and 2000’s ( with Stanley Clarke and Bill Connors)

1 Like

I’m saddened to read this…
only yesterday I was listening to ‘Like Minds’, his collaboration with Gary Burton, Pat Metheny, Roy Haynes and Dave Holland.

Thank you for the music, Mr Corea. This afternoon’s listening will now include something of the Return to Forever quadruple vinyl live album.

2 Likes

Very sad to read this unexpected news. I only saw Chick play once - at the Cheltenham Jazz Festival a couple of years ago, and it was then I truly realised how much more than extra special he was, RIP.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Thank you Richard.

So sad indeed. He was a very special and unique artist, one of a kind.

I would like to remember him with this album that I like a lot:

1 Like

Listen to Chick with the Stan Getz Quartet on Sweet Rain. I don’t have the 60s vinyl but on CD it’s one of my all time favourite albums.

3 Likes