Chocolate - what do you like and why?

Segments? Who knew?

I tend to eat it a quarter at a time.

1 Like

Bang it on a worktop / table inside the orange wrapper and the segments usually split open for ease of access.

1 Like

Cadburys Dairy Milk beats any other chocolate, hands down for me.

Thank you for the suggestion but that would take away the fun of snapping out each segment one by one. It also prevents me from eating the whole orange in one sitting.

1 Like

Royce

My favourite rum and raisin chocolate from japan. I usually prefer dark but I make an exception for this.

Also, Royce Nama Dark with Cognac:

RoyceNama

And this which I havent eaten in years:

2 Likes

I’m with you on this. Cadbury’s Whole Nut is my absolute favourite. Lindt, Hotel Chocolat and various other ‘high end’ chocolatiers’ products are initially appealing, but I just find them too rich and intense for a long term relationship

3 Likes

From the standard range, all time favourite is this.

And then there is this, Norway’s house chocolate from Freia. Nicer than Cadbury’s in that it’s less sweet. Has a bit of a reputation outside Norway. Well worth a try outside the usual suspects.

2 Likes

I totally agree. Marcolini’s is the best. I always bought their square bars on every trip to Brussels over more than a decade. Now I will never return (Brexit).

1 Like

Back in the day when I travelled on Business to Brussels I would always visit the Valrhona shop; it was in a lane behind St Katherine’s square.

https://www.valrhona-chocolate.com/

1 Like

All of it, I’m female, what do you expect!

2 Likes

You can visit the Valrhona factory (I’m not sure factory is the right word, as they supply most of the reputable chocolate-makers) in Tain-l’Hermitage, on the left bank of the Rhône - hence the name - and spend a very pleasant afternoon at the local wineries… Chapoutier, Paul Jaboulet, etc. My favourite wines come from that area.

1 Like

My chocolate of choice, too, Richard. 90% is far and away better than either the 70% or 85%, which you’d sort of assume is similar. They both lack the almost cloying fudge-like intensity of the 90%.

I have also used the shop in Terterden, which is just up the road from me. Some lovely stuff there and worth supporting because it’s local.

I “discovered” Zotters a few years ago when they first appeared at a trade event and normally order a dozen bars of something boozy and exceptional at Christmas. You can also get a selection at the Algerian Coffee Stores on Old Compton Street. God, how I’d love to be able to pop up there now!

2 Likes

I lived less than 200 metres from the Terry’s factory in York in the late 90s. On days when they were doing a chocolate orange run, the whole street smelt overpoweringly of, well, chocolate orange. A deep inhale and you could swear you were eating a huge mouthful. All the flavour, none of the calories - it was a heady experience and I didn’t get much work done on those days.

I sometimes used to cycle past the Rowntree’s factory on the other side of the city, and that could have a similar effect. Dangerous for the whole concentrating-on-the-road thing.

Mark

4 Likes

Is that a better smell than a brewery?

I would hope so. I’ve never been able to understand why the brewing process should stink so badly, yet the finished product be (mostly) so wonderful! Chocolate, on the other hand, marvellous from start to finish.

1 Like

and you can add lunch at Maison Pic for a memorable meal!

Try boiling up a vat of hops in your kitchen and you’ll understand. It’s been a while since I’ve made beer at home, but it makes your whole house stink for a day or so.
Probably best not to know what additional processes go on in those vast beermaking factories in Stoke, for example, but the fact is, hops stink.

1 Like

My home brewing experience is limited to my student days, but with a house full of rugby and hockey players, not to mention chemists and biologists, it was an enjoyable time. I guess that you either love the smell or not. Certainly, trips to my local breweries are a pleasant reminder of those student days.

That’s the new cost-cutting Toblerone isn’t it with ‘segments’ further apart to reduce weight in the same package?

The Toblerone bar shape was restored to the original spacing in 2018, with a weight change too.

1 Like