Chopping in HiCap for a SuperCap worthwhile on a SN3?

I’ve seen a lovely example SuperCap DR available at a very tempting price. It’s got me thinking that maybe i could slip it in place of my HiCap whilst no one is looking, and would it be worthwhile doing this on a SN3? My end goal is to eventually get a NAC 252 but this may take some time…also slipping in a 250 DR when the coast is clear, doing a commando roll out of the way and ducking for cover.

Am i nuts for even considering this plan?:crazy_face:

2 Likes

If you are thinking of a 252 in the longer term it absolutely makes sense.

4 Likes

Yes i think so too. Just wandering how this would stack up in the short term with SN3. Seems like i won’t really benefit much until i actually get a NAC 252.

1 Like

As Nigel says, if the plan is to go to a 252 then the SC DR is a good move, especially if it’s at a tempting price. I’m not sure it’ll be a big step up on the Hicap DR when powering the SN3, but that’s not the long term plan.

When you get the 252, you can use the SN3 in power amp mode until a suitable power amp comes along :+1:

3 Likes

I must say i’m sorely tempted. I can carry on as usual with my current system, rack and plug sockets. Sell the HiCap DR. Save for a NAC252 and another level of Fraim. Then swap out the SN3 for a 250DR. I think my current source is still up to the job although i may have to think about a 555DR later on down that particular road also.

2 Likes

Sounds like a plan. As you say, it’s a straight swap in place of the Hicap…

3 Likes

One quick question if i may - does the SuperCap come with any SNAICs?

IIRC, it doesn’t come with any connecting cables (mains lead aside). Probably because it can be used in either SNAIC (or dual SNAIC) or Burndy powering configurations.

2 Likes

Brilliant. Thanks James :+1:

1 Like

It makes sense and it will be interesting to see if you prefer the Supercap DR with the Supernait 3. The Supernait won’t make use of the power rails on the Supercap. In theory as the Supercap DR is a superior power supply it should sound better! You can then swap out the Supernait 3 for the 252 and 250DR. You’ll be very happy when the project is finished.

The other option is to save your money and stay put as you are. Enjoy the music!

You have a fantastic system as it is.

3 Likes

I’ve thought the same thing Stephen_Tate and my dealer (sadly he’s passed away) said the same thing. If I planned on heading towards a 252 get the SuperCap now as most people tend to forget it’s necessary .

2 Likes

Yes of course, i’m seriously weighing up my options right now. I have the means to instantly purchase this particular SC DR (oh and it’s a good one, which is why i’m seriously tempted), but then am i ‘really’ prepared for the domino affect that this may trigger, systematically speaking…?:thinking:

2 Likes

You may get more benefit from upgrading your source with a 555PS. It’s a difficult one as you are going down a rabbit hole of further upgrades.

Maybe get the Supercap DR and see if you like it.

If you don’t, you can always sell it on. Should get your money back on it or thereabouts.

A 252 system will be wonderful though. Good luck with your choices :wink:.

2 Likes

Thanks Dan_M for your kind and thoughtful input :+1:

1 Like

Ok after some serious thought and some real temptation, i’ve decided not to go ahead and purchase the SuperCap just yet, even though it will still look good in the rack. I think i should wait until i can have both the SC DR and NAC252 at the same time, only then will i really feel that it will be worthwhile.

Many thanks for all of your replies.

5 Likes

It’s good to think these things through. And you know your upgrade options going forwards. I would wait until you can get the 252, Supercap DR and 250DR all at the same time and change out the Supernait 3 and HiCap DR. That way you get everything in one big hit!

2 Likes

Yup that sounds about right to me as well. I think I much prefer one big massive hit rather than three littler hits :grin:

1 Like

So you’re thinking of skipping the 282 and going straight for 252? The 282/250 is v nice and a big jump over sn3. I don’t know what 252/250 is like compared with 282/250 or 252/300.

2 Likes

I’m curious about this as well. As much as I’d love to jump directly to a 252/300 etc I want to know how a 282/250dr compares to what I have. Likely a 282/250dr/2 hicapdr driving my Proacs is all that’s needed. Famous last words I know. I could of course add another source like a LP12 etc.

The only hesitation I’d have is whether you can then find a used 252 that is being sold without the accompanying SC.

When I got my 252/SC I ran it through the SN2 as a power amp, until I got the 250, so that’s a perfectly good option.