Chord GroundARAY - brilliant or bollocks?

I think Richard should reinstate the Mscaler thread immediately; it’s one of the most entertaining on the forum. It’s verging on addictive, just like your favourite soap opera.

Will Ricky finally buy that UNPNPUP bubble bridge?

Will Bianca go for XLR interconnects or stick with the RCA?

Will Cat be tempted to buy that slinky USB cable she has on trial?

WE NEED TO KNOW.

5 Likes

Is that another colitis joke? :thinking:

1 Like

I genuinely would - despite my deliberately provocative thread title - be interested to hear about the benefits of these things, or not, from those who have tried them. Cleaning up the grounding is really important, as I found when I had the grounding on my dedicated mains sorted out. I wouldn’t spend the £550 required for one of these, but if there is something similar for a few quid it’s got to be worth a punt.

Having visited Naim and spoken to Steve Sells, designer of the current streamers and all round technical whizz, part of my wonders why this stuff wasn’t designed out, along with all the other new platform improvements. But I’m not at all technical and maybe that’s simply not possible. It would be really interesting to hear what Naim themselves think of the idea of people poking these things into their carefully designed equipment. Maybe @Naim.Marketing would like to comment? Or maybe not!!

I’m busy enough with our own brands - don’t need to get involved in any other companies’ launches!

8 Likes

Totally agree……just not many have jumped in and tried, which was my point. I am a bit maxed out on tweaks and with a new cable on its way….my year done. I guess if a few dealers start loaning out that will help……my dealer does not stock Chord cables, so over to others.

‘Members with a boner’. I like it. As you say, there will always be miracle products, very few of which really are miracles. Maybe, just maybe, this one really is.

3 Likes

An incredibly well thought and logical reply.
You may have missed your calling. Have you ever thought about becoming a forum moderator? :wink:

Best
Gregg

2 Likes

I’m racking my brain - was this that DAC that everyone was going mad about back then ?

Think, think,

… Lavry was it?

.sjb

I did but I haven’t the social skills.

One and the bloody same.

2 Likes

Impedance decoupling is a well established technique and has been around since just about the dawn of electronics….
Most circuits incorporate such techniques to avoid instabilities and noise from HF small signals … an introduction paper on dr pulling from our friends AD, who Naim use in their digital products.

Quite correct. I often like to state that I survived the “Lavry Wars” on the forum back in the day.
At least Naim’s “response” in the heat of battle was the nDAC - still quite formidable to this very day.

Best
Gregg

2 Likes

Mention of Lavry reminded me of one if its great stalwarts Stu /Gale 401 and i mused about those as Adam described above

and who is in this coterie is currently.

Good to see some familiar names like yours from “back in the day”.

.sjb

I remember fondly when Peter wrote in Volume 1, Number 7, 1978–while reviewing the Sequeria Pyramid T-1 tweeter, words to the effect that a ribbon in a magnetic field was the perfect force over area transducer. At the time, his reference system was the Beveridge Electrostatic. It was a floor to ceiling line source with a diffuser lens. He quipped that someone should make a ribbon that went from floor to ceiling and it would be quite something. I felt I knew how to do that, and so Apogee Acoustics was born and the development of the Full Range Ribbon Loudspeakers and the Scintilla’s was the result.

6 Likes

I’m one of those dreadful ruffians who doesn’t currently own a scrap of Naim, apart from the odd cable, but I’ve owned lots before and expect to again when the right vintage items become available. I’m also a regular contributor to the thread that shall not be named and I’ve learned a lot there and enjoyed it. I certainly haven’t intentionally broken any rules and I hope Richard would tell me if I had. That, and a few other threads, have always struck me as a sign of the forums willingness to cover other brands and not vonfine conversations to the same narrow subjects, or to dissing a Naim partner brand based on a single product and I hope it resurfaces at some point but if not then so be it, it’s a Naim forum and they make the rules

1 Like

Yes those were the days :smiley:

I have to admit I miss Stu. Always entertaining and had no problem saying what was on his mind.

Best
Gregg

1 Like

Battle of Agincourt, Trafalgar, Omdurman, Lavry.

Don’t forget his alter ego Berlin Fritz

It’s fine of course to be a dreadful ruffian, so long as you don’t seek to convert others to your ruffian ways. You, of course, do not do this, but others most certainly have had a go. The thing that should be bringing everyone together is our shared love of music, and when pointless arguments about dacs, cables, stands and all that malarkey take over, it’s easy to lose sight of what got us to buy a decent stereo in the first place.

5 Likes

This, most definitely.

3 Likes

Couldn’t agree more Nigel. Most of the music I fell in love with I did so on my dad’s fold down record player in mono or on the car radio. I’m not sure I’ve ever enjoyed music more than I did then no matter how much I spend on kit

2 Likes