Chord GroundARAY - brilliant or bollocks?

Just to say Audio T in Swansea have been very good with me and definitely not into hard sell - advice not dependent on sales, so not quite so black and white.

1 Like

Same with me at Acoustica

Don’t misunderstand what I said folks, yes I dare say Acoustica & Audio-T provide a good service, my local Audio-T are excellent. My point is they would not be able to provide this service unless they were profitable.

Here, you might find the problem that these established publications need to secure advertisement income – so they might also be an unlikely candidate for a review without any vested interest… And in the UK hifi magazine market, I assume, Chord Company is one of the big spenders …

Don’t have time today but tomorrow will give my thoughts either good or bad

3 Likes

Why do they need to be that long? Do they have aerials inside, deliberately designed to pick up RF, or vibrate in sympathy with the music for some kind of euphonic effect?

1 Like

Point noted & already agreed, I’m very sceptical of some of the UK HiFi mags.
I take the techie European pubs & others such as Stereophile a touch more seriously

It’s so it looks like 500 quids worth and make men believe it’s actually doing something.

2 Likes

Yes, you’re probably right, I’m most likely overthinking this. If they were the size of a Naim link plug and made of plastic they wouldn’t be able to charge £500

Do you mean those big plastic plugs at the end of a hiline that apparently fall to bits at the slightest provocation.

They cost £760, don’t contain any mystical materials. Just AIR. :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

No, you’re thinking of an “Air-Plug”.

This is a link plug

In fairness to accoustica they have twice advised me not to buy items on the basis that they would not improve my system when they could easily have just sold me the items. A quick sale for a few hundred quid isn’t worth losing a long term relationship with a customer for

3 Likes

I’ve had similar from my dealer too. As you say it’s just not worth disappointing customers for a few bob.

2 Likes

On the other hand, if this product works as noticeably well as they advertise it, then it means that high end Naim gear is performing so relatively badly by itself and is so susceptible to various kinds of (ground) noise, that it indicates some pretty serious design flaws. That doesn’t sound too great either…

3 Likes

I know.

I was highlighting the fact Naim sell, and people pay £760 for a plug full of air. :grinning:

To be fair, you do get two of them :wink:

I reckon any product that has to resort to a 1970’s style ‘nice pair of legs’ to be the main focus of their publicity pics is very clearly bollocks. Could be wrong of course.

While I get the sentiment, LV is a clothing/fashion brand

1 Like

If you believe your dealer is sellling you something that is not worth your money it may be time to find a new dealer.
Claus

Ok so I have the time today to experiment, took my son and his girlfriend back to London yesterday following our week in Cornwall

So let the story begin…………………………….

I was at @Cymbiosis recently for the demo of the Solstice hosted by Jason, during the day of moving in and out of the demo room the team mentioned the new Chord GroundARAY to me. On Monday spent the day with Peter looking at New Sub Chassis for my LP12 and on reference Stiletto deck (Ekos SE, Krystal) was a Radikal vs Radikal – at the end of that it was then when we added – took away – added etc the 5 Pin to the demo room system 252/SCDR/ 3 x 250DR active with Kudo T808 with KS-1 cable, I posted a quick review of the Din into 252 then and because of that experience home demo now for the RJ 45 and 5 Pin Din

Been a NAIM owner for 20+ years – love my system and it’s nearly finished, yes, I know those famous words – No more upgrades!

My system is 252/SC/300DR/Kudos T505/KS- 1 cable/Full Fraim – power leads Titan Electria into NDX, Poweline into SC and into Titan Eros 300SR – all other cables are NAIM lavender
To sources LP12 (Kilmax) and NDX (2014) – play the NDX around 5% off the time hence no NDX2 at the moment

Digital is QNAP TS 251+ Chord C-Stream into Cisco 2980G

Router>Switch>NAS>NDX ( because my Incoming internet feed is at the front of house and Man cave a rear have cooper cable through garage roof into music room) – then C-Steam into NDX which gives me 100Mbs at NDX

store files in FLAC and NDX converts to WAV on the fly – I use Asset for UpNP and NAIM app

I chose the below tracks to start with, know the music well

1. Antonio Forcione Tears of Joy Landmark 16/44
  2. Chris Jones Roadhouses & Automobiles No Sanctuary Here 24/44
  3. The Eagles Hotel California Hotel California 24/192
  4. Alan Parsons Project Turn of a Friendly Card May be a price to Pay DSD 64
  5. ABC The Lexicon of Love The Look of Love 24/192
  6. Mark Knopfler Sailing to Philadelphia 24/48
  7. Toro iV Africa 24/192
  8. Pink Floyd Dark side of the moon ( 1983 Japan Pressing Flat Transfer) 16/44
  9. Paul Simon Graceland Under African Skies 24/96
  10. Ella and Louis Ella & Louis Again Making Woopie 24/192
  11. Simon & Garfunkel Bridge over The only living Boy In New York 24/192
  12. Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life I wish 14/192
  13. Tears for Fears The Hurting Pale Shelter 24/96
  14. The Beatles Abbey Road Golden Slumbers / Carry that Weight 24/96
  15. Yes, Close to the Edge You & I 24/192

Played the tracks with out the Chord Array RJ45 in the Cisco to commence with and then following
First off with out the RJ45 fitted the music was detailed. Rich and focused as I would have expected I have not changed anything in my system since the Kudos T505 came in earlier this year
So, when the added the RJ45 what happened well to this boy ears the vocals had a richer more natural feel, mid range again had more focus, took it out played again but it back same feeling#
In summary the RJ45 is a yes, as a footnote it also added more to, I radio stations – across my favourites Virgin Anthems – Radio Paradise, Caroline

So, after all that added the 5 Pin to my 252, I used the spare Tuner (PN it does need to be mapped)
And again, working as a pair the RJ45 & 5 Pin Din with NDX raised the music detail even further same tracks more focus, so it’s a BIG tick on NDX
Now when I played my LP12 using the 5 Pin din the musical uplift in detail focus and poise was a joy
Albums were

• The Blue Nile – High
• Elbow Seldom Seen Kid with BBC Concert Orchestra
• Tori Amos Native Invader
• The Eagles Hell Freezes Over

To this member ears they work! that being said I think they are best parried, so for me I have the best combo 5 Pin DIN and RJ45 – if I was having to chose only 1 it would be 5 Pin Din into Pre AMP whichever you have in your system

It just proves home demo is worth its weight just to make sure what you think you heard at your dealers does the same on your own system

in closing there was certainly NO hard sell from @Cymbiosis - they gave me these to try at home and then purchase only if I was happy with the outcome which I am and have asked the team to post them to me

Now I’m off to enjoy even more Music, which in the end of the day is our goal

11 Likes