Chord Mojo Hmmmm!

For travel, I simply use LG V40…

The Mojo is something special, just perhaps not to your liking.

Upsampling to DSD makes it sound even better, as you have a Rock, try it with Roon…

The Mojo is to my liking as a portable solution (iPhone and B&W P3s) and also sounds awesome feeding a Muso, but couldn’t compete with the NDS/555dr when being fed from a noisy source.

In many respects I like it in the main system but it sounds slower, especially in the bass. This could the Mac’s fault.

Keith

1 Like

I did I was equally unimpressed.

Based on this thread i gleaned the Mojo was a mixed bag (i have for a year had my eye on one), then @Simon-in-Suffolk Hugo woes, and bit the bullet and bought a Chord Hugo for mainly work listening via my phone, yes i’m back to wired headphones.

Funnily enough it was extracting the best from the USB Pro App and a Cyrus Soundkey that spurred me on.

1 Like

When I tried a Hugo (1) fed from NDS (fed from a core) it was a match for the NDS dac …but a faff to use…a TT would be a better bet I’m sure …but unless it’s a good step better…it’s not worth the expense or extra box…

In what way? When I had one it was dead easy, though when first setting up it was a bit fiddly, e.g. hitting a button a number of times to cycle to the setting wanted - but then it remembered the setting and no more fiddling, simply turn on and use (or leave powered up). Though to preserve the battery an occasional disconnection of mains to allow the battery to discharge is a good idea (I did monthly).

The faff was the setting up …the fact it was small and the cables dragged it off the shelf …finding a suitable place to put it ( it looked silly on its own shelf) … turning it on and off each time … didn’t want to leave it powered up…
Little things…but they all add up to an inconvenience…

1 Like

I think Chord kit is superb, but its ergonomics are odd to say the least. I agree with you using Hugo on a Fraim in the main system can be challenging. I’d go for Qutest, HTT2 or DAVE depending on budget,

I have never understood why manufacturers have to be so distinctive in the look of a product. I like electronics that fit in visually rather than stand out. Chord products sell on sound quality despite their looks not because of their looks in my view.

I think Linn has it right with ergonomics and its kit runs cool especially useful during a long hof British summer. That said even Linn has an awkward recess on the back of its Klimax range.

2 Likes

I must admit as a portable even a desktop device i thought the Mojo was bad but the Hugo is shockingly bad.

How on earth you can call it a mobile device is beyond me, even with the matching Hugo man bag (which blocks key ports/controls), it has to win the crappiest design of the century.

1 Like

A little harsh…

For the level of product it is.
That said the controls i seem to have got the hang off, but the case is a pain.

Plus the device has a tiny rattle, dealer and Chord say it is normal !!!

I have a small ‘rattle’ on my Mojo but as far as I can tell it is the ball type buttons moving slightly in their sockets.

Nope - i have checked that by gentle holding them and it is a rolling rattle.

I was told an hour ago by someone on their unit it was actually a loose screw, 1 of 10 on the board rolling around, he figured it out by holding it upside down and finally caught it in the window !!!

Hmm loose screw on a circuit board …

A loose screw would worry me less than some of the Nova stories here… Chord customer service is pretty good. I could certainly recommend buying from Chord, as I don’t hesistate to recommend Naim’s black boxes to friends. Nova is a different story though…

Is this developing into a Chord bashing, here and in the other thread? If your screw is loose, call Chord, or your doctor… :wink:

I cant call Chord as they have no telephone number, in this day and age, so used their contact form, the result err send it back, I said my dealer mentioned all his units rattle, response tumbleweed.

Nova yep nightmare i am not no 4 or 5, but still better than Chord.

Yep my screw is loose :innocent:

Not sure if this is allowed and I apologise if not. So it may get deleted. Chord Electronics are at The Pumphouse Farleigh Bridge in Maidstone and contact number is Chord Electronics is 01622 721444. It’s a published number, it’s not a secret.

If you send it back as advised they’ll fix it. If your dealer has a faulty batch then surely he should contact Chord to get it sorted. He certainly shouldn’t sell items he thinks are not 100%.

1 Like

My Hugo didn’t rattle though I never shook it!}? If there is a rattle, whether a screw or something else, clearly there is something wrong with it.

If there is something wrong with it then that might explain the perceived non-stellar performance against cheaper products, if it is simply that those products are as good, or better, that is great - no need to spend on a better DAC! Given that quite a few on the forum found Hugo to be better than Naim’s DACs, then the Cyrus Soundkey may be worth considering as an upgrade for people with nD5XS, NDX, etc.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.